Chapter 13

'Walpurgisnacht comes in 4 days,' Homura frowned. It had been a while since she last saw all the other magical girls. In fact, they hadn't been coming to school at all.

There was an empty seat behind her, and another on the other side of the classroom. Sayaka's, Yuuki's, another girl, and now Amaya's seat was empty. Sayaka's seat had been long abandoned, after being missing for two weeks now. Mami's seat was probably abandoned in the same way, in another classroom.

She hadn't heard from Oriko or Kirika for a long time, or from the other girl, Miku. Yuuki had been missing for a while, shortly after they had returned from the arena. Another girl in the class was also gone, but Homura had no idea whether she was a magical girl or not. Now, Ayame was missing. It was so odd, but Homura only had one goal in her mind, like she had said. To protect Madoka, and keep her from contracting, no matter what.

"Back in Mitakihara City," Oriko sighed, "I wonder how much has changed." Kirika glanced at Oriko curiously.

"We weren't away very long," She said, "I don't think much changed."

"Of course," Oriko nodded, "But about the magical girls, do you think we can still find the rest." Kirika shrugged.

"Why do you care so much about them?" She asked the pale haired girl, "You were having me kill magical girls a while ago."

"I guess," Oriko shrugged, "But this is different, we don't know who the attacker is, so we're in danger. We have to stay alert." Kirika nodded slowly, digesting this information.

"I'm hungry," She said suddenly, "I think I'll get something to eat." She wandered off to one of the shops, selling various buns and breads.

Oriko watched in amusement as the feisty girl began ordering various foods from the menu.

A slap sounded from the narrow alleyway, a sound that echoed off the walls. Oriko frowned. Suddenly, all she could see, was a scene of white light. It was bright, whirling around in blinding arcs. The vision faded away almost immediately. Oriko's resolve hardened. Whatever it was in the alleyway, it had to be something to do with her near future.

"Oriko, I'm - huh?" Kirika stopped. The tall, pale haired-girl was nowhere in sight, "Where'd she go?"

A small cry of pain came from the alleyway next to the shop she had just exited.

Oriko's words rang in her head.

We don't know who the attacker is, so we're in danger. We have to stay alert.

"I'm coming, Oriko." Kirika muttered, dropping the packages of food, beginning to run into the alleyway, her fingers ready to pull her ring off her finger.

As she ran into the alleyway, after a couple of paces, she had to stop. In front of her, Oriko lay in a crumpled heap.

'Oriko!" Kirika gasped, reaching down to the fallen magical girl, "Wha-"

"Get back!" Oriko's voice was full of warning, as she shoved Kirika suddenly. Hard.

"Sorry." Oriko said somewhat apologetically, just when a white whip lashed the air where Kirika's head had been. If Oriko hadn't pushed her.

"That's not fair," A voice said from the shadows, "You can't use your prophetic powers to help other people."

Oriko turned to whoever was in the shadows.

"You have no qualms about attacking sole magical girls." She retorted. A small sigh came from the shadows.

"I'm supposed to be quick, you know, so it's time to speed it up." A figure leap out of the shadows, a white aura surrounding her. Blazing white whips cracked about, as she struck at Kirika.

"Kirika, get out of here!" Oriko cried, but it was too late.

The whips struck Kirika around the head and chest. The blows sent the magical girl flying backwards, almost senseless, a blow which Rena knew as likely to send Kirika to the hospital for a couple of weeks.

"No!" Oriko's defiant voice shouted, as she sent numerous blue and silver orbs flying towards the white magical girl. Rena only had to twist her wrists, and the blue orbs were sent spinning away, knocked away by her whips, back at Oriko.

Oriko's eyes widened, as the orbs came spinning back at her. She closed her eyes, waiting for them to hit. When they did, she felt one hit her soul gem.

Oriko gasped. She stared at the soul gem, noticing with relief, that it had only cracked, but taint was overcoming it.

"Kirika," Oriko croaked, "Are you-" Her question broke off with a strangled gasp. Rena smiled, as she lifted the white magical girl into the air, dangling from her whip. She didn't say anything, just stared at Oriko's slowly weakening figure. Her eyes glowed red, and then Oriko disappeared, the whip snaking back onto the ground.

"Oriko!" Kirika's voice gasped. Rena turned to where the dark magical girl was struggling to stand up.

"You'll join her soon," Rena told the girl, in a false, assuring tone, "Just stay still." Kirika's eyes widened, as she was lifted into the air by her wrists, one whip latched around each of her wrists. Kirika gritted her teeth, summoning her soul gem with a click of her fingers.

Immediately, she transformed, her silver claws appearing, her outfit darkening onto her.

With a snarl, Kirika slashed at the whips encircling her wrists. The claws seemed to go straight through, as though the whips were made only of light. Yet they hurt like an actual whip.

"Still fighting?" Rena's childish voice asked the struggling girl, "It'll stop soon."

Immediately, Kirika felt the whips tighten, and gasped. She could feel herself weakening, as though she was slowly dying. Her vision was already black, but she could feel her senses a little bit. Just a bit.

Rena watched in satisfaction, as Kirika's limp body slumped down, and disappeared, assumedly to the lab.

"Only one more to go." She sighed, her whips disappearing with a snap.