Part 9

Chris pov

I walkout of Mr Larry's office feeling as light as air. I still can't believe he gave me a job. A nice one at that. He didn't even care about my criminal record, all he cares about was my qualifications. And my masters in engineering from Yale seemed to do it for him. I get back home. Well technically to Lauren's house around 7 and I know that she's probably back from work and Emma back from school. Kara is looking for colleges right now so we still have a few more months with her always being around. Am just glad I can now help pay for her college, cause it was killing me having Lauren do everything by herself.

"I got the Job!" I yelled out the moment I opened the front door and Emma who was watching TV immediately runs up to hug me.

"No way dad, really?" she jumps up and down.

"Really" I smile.

"Did you just say you got the job?" Lauren smiles so hard with a hand over her mouth.

"Oh Chris that amazing" she smiles embracing me into a hug. For some odd reason, I lift her from floor and she bends her legs before staring straight at me. It felt so quick when I pecked her on the lips, but it did happen, before setting her back down.

The room suddenly quietens apart from Emma's growing grin.

"So when do you begin work?" She asks casually.

"Tomorrow"

"Tomorrow?" she smiles.

"Tomorrow" I confirm smiling back. " Where Kara?" I ask, now noticing her absence.

" Umm" Lauren tucks a piece of hair behind her head. " She went on a date"

"A date?" I asked confused.

"Yes"

"Like with a boy?" I ask making Emma giggle.

" Yes Chris don't be ridiculous, she's almost 18" Lauren laughs.

" I'm not being ridiculous. Didn't you tell these girls their supposed to date in college?"

She gives me an eye. " Are you questioning my mothering skills?" she asks in her serious Lauren face.

"No, I-I.. "

She raised an eyebrow.

"I'm sorry"

"You better. Besides, I had a talk with her this morning. I had it with Emma too "

I look at Emma and she looks like she wants to be anywhere but here so I know Lauren did it right.

" Hey guys " Kara sings as she enters.

"Hey dad" she says Lower when she sees me.

" How was your date?" I ask.

" Good" she swallowed.

"He didn't force you to nothing you didn't want did he?"

"Chris" I heard Lauren scold.

"No dad"

"Good".

She nodded her head before climbing upstairs with Emma on her tail.

" Ouch" I run my hand where Lauren just pinched. "What was that for?"

"You know what" she says before walking to the kitchen. I sneak up behind her and softly poke her weak spots on her waist making her laugh and run away from me.

"What was that for?" she laughs.

"Revenge" I smirked. I launched myself after her and she tried to run but I was faster. I carried her, bridal style before laying her on the sofa. I tickled her endlessly while she cried with laughter.