Part 2

---Emma---

When class was done, Miss Parker tells me to remain behind and I swear I peed a little when she said that. She waits until everyone leaves, and goes to shut the door before speaking to me.

" Hey Emma" she smiled

"Hey" I greeted back as she leaned as she leaned against the desk.

First rule of lying, and in Kara's words: 'Be confident'.

" You want to tell me what's going on?"

"W-what do you mean?" I stuttered.

I know, am not good at this.

" You basically have your whole life packed in that bag. And not to mention a knife. Do you know that carrying sharp objects to school is not allowed?" her voice was stern.

"I know. Buts it's just that I-I"

She stood still waiting for my response. I hope she couldn't tell how nervous I was right now.

" Someone must have put those stuff in there t-to prank me or something" I say, barely audible.

" Really Emma?"

I nod.

"So your not homeless, cause that's the vibe am getting"

"Am not" I insisted.

"Where do you live?"

"24th Avenue street. Three blocks from here". Which was my old address.

She came closer to hold my hands before sitting us down. I looked straight into her eyes and regret it straight away. Maybe I should tell her cause we really need help. Kara is barely managing to feed me once a day and she works until 12 at night only to wake up at 5 again. She doesn't tell me this, but she's struggling and tired. And I hate that.

" Emma?"

"Yeah"

" I know I keep asking you the same " She sincerely says. " Do you have a home?" she asks.

And that's it. I needed to tell her. Let me just say it and get over with it. A foster home can't be worse than this can it?.

" Can you talk to my sister about this? " my mouth says instead.

"Umm...Sure" she answers, a little taken back I could tell.

" When can I talk to her?"

" I don't know, cause she's gonna finish late today. Maybe tom-"

"What time is she finishing today?"

"6"

"I'll still be here" she says with such certainty.

"I don't want to have to make you wait" I say.

"Your not. I was going to be marking papers at home but I can do it here"

"okay" I nodded and stood up, my bag pack still in my hand. "Just please don't.." I sigh cutting myself off, on whether or not I should actually say the word.

"I won't call child protective services...yet" she adds, making my heart skip a beat.

               ~~~~~~
"How many times have I told you to deny!" Kara quietly shouts at me in the bathroom.

"I did deny" I cry.

"Well you didn't do it well if she still questions you. I know you Emma, you probably wanted to tell her, didn't you"

" She's nice Kara, she can help!" I shout through my tears.

"Yeah. I can tell how nice she is if she threatened to call child protection services on us."

"Look Em " her voice is calmer this time as she steps towards me. "I know things seem kinda hard, but am gonna be eighteen soon and dad is coming out of prison in ten months. We have to wait for him. We have gone 4 years without him, I think we can do 10 months don't you think?"

"Your right" I sniff.

" Thank you. And I love you " she whispers before hugging me.

"You know h-"

"how much you hate hugs. yeah." she finishes.

Lauren pov

Am marking the last dozen of grade seven's history assignment when I hear a knock on the door.

"Come in!" I shout and Emma comes in with a girl who similar to her. To me.

Hold on.

Please don't tell me her name is Kara, please dont.

"Hey Miss Parker "

" Hey Emma" I tried maintaining my voice.

" Hey Miss Parker" her sister says as they both take their seats.

" Sorry to keep you waiting Miss, but this is my sister Kara". My heart dropped. That's Kara. My Kara. My

"Hey" she gave me a small smile. " I heard there was a little misunderstanding with Emma"

"Umm..yeah. She carries an awful  lot of things to be normal and I wanted to ask if you guys have a home. And please be honest with me"

"Well, we just moved houses and I guess she forgot to take some things out of my bag" she chuckles. She's got a certain glow about her, one similar to her dad. Emma on the other hand, is reserved and her eyes scream out to me something I can not comprehend.

"Really?"

"Yeah" Kara answers with certainty.

"OK then. I was just being careful I hope you understand?"

The nodded. "No problem, thanks for trying to look after my sister"

" Your welcome Kara"

"Bye" Emma waves as they approached the door.

"No!" I shouted before they left. I grabbed my hand bag and car keys before following them.

"I'll drop you girls" I said as I locked the door.

"No thanks" they simultaneously said which I found suspicious.

"It's late. Am not gonna let two teenage girls walk home alone"

"Kara has a car" Emma quickly says.

"Oh. Well in that case it's fine" I said as we approached the car park. Only my Range Rover and another silver BMW were left in the lot and it belongs to the principal.

" Girls let's go! " I gave them a serious face and they looked at each other before getting in the car with me.

" Which street was it again?" I asked Kara and she mentioned the same address we used to live in before. I find that odd because I recently went there and found another family who told me they bought the house 2 years ago.

"Are you sure?"

" Yeah" She answered lowly.

The rest of the ride was in silence  until I reached their apparent home.

"Okay girls. We're here " I announced as I parked my car.

"Thank you" they said.

"your welcome. And remember one thing.." I looked at both of them. " Am always here to help"

" Thank you" Kara says.

"Bye Miss Parker" Emma waved and I waved back. As they waited for me to leave first before going inside.