19. Just An Echo

"You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending

"You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending."

MAYA

I lied.

I lied to Bree about John.

I didn't tell anybody because nobody noticed it or because I was too scared. My reason was different. I wish I could tell Bree the real reason. I wish I could tell someone. Anyone. But every time my mind reached that wish, another part of me, my dark side started drafting up all sorts of what if's.

What if Bree or anyone found out that I was embarrassed and ashamed to confess what my stepfather had been doing to me. What if Bree or anyone else found out that I never told anybody because the nights felt less cold and less lonely when John was with me in my bed.

I hated how his presence next to me at night made me feel that way, but as much as I tried to deny it, it was still the truth. A truth only I knew. A truth I didn't even confess in my diary. I wrote my true feelings and secrets in that diary, but my darkest secrets were still imprinted all over my mind. Covering every inch of my brain were my dirty, dark secrets that I refused to ever be unleashed to the open.

I couldn't tell Bree. I couldn't tell dad, Mia or Mr. Standall. It made me feel so disgusted. What would they think?

Even the thought made me shiver. 

"So people were being nicer than usual and he acted like the world was falling apart? Sounds like Cayden, yeah." Bree laughed.

On our way to the old factory, I told Bree what happened at school today and she couldn't stop laughing.

"And Scary? The Cayden Bloom who constantly complains about how cold it is and watched Spongebob with you? No way. He's far from scary," she admitted, shoving her hands inside the pockets of her light pink coat.

I chuckled. "Exactly."

"So where are we going exactly? Is there an address to this top secret place?"

"You'll get all your answers when we're there," I assured, smiling at her.

It was still day as the sky was a vivid blue color, soft clouds in all sorts of big and small shapes passing by, slowly and gently. The cold breeze dancing past us tugged at my hair and left the tip of my ears frozen. I exhaled cold smoke and wrapped my arms tightly around my torso as we moved towards the old and abandoned factory at the far end of the street.