Chapter Twenty: Exclusivity

The next week flew by as Rose carefully balanced her time between work and her friends. Claire didn't visit often, so she didn't regret pushing work aside to spare some time for her, especially considering the state of her mental health. However, that also meant having no time for Vincent.

He didn't seem to mind being sidelined for a bit, but his understanding nature bothered her in ways she didn't want to accept. In all honesty, hearing about his womanizing ways through her friends was worse than seeing his old flames flash by in person. Although it was long ago, Claire had a rather hilarious story about how he tried to make a pass at her during a holiday party – when she was clearly seeing someone at the time. And that was one story of many.

Another part of her realized that she was the one who insisted that they take things slow, and he willingly obliged. But did that necessarily mean that they were exclusive? And most of all, did it truly bother her if they weren't?

But that night out had to have meant something, considering how much of himself he was willing to show her. She figured, or at least hoped, that he trusted her to some extent to reveal such a sensitive part of his life. She knew it would take an immense amount of trust for her to expose her vulnerable side to him. She toyed with the idea of telling him about Noah, but couldn't see herself imparting that dark history with him.

Not yet, at least.

And that's when she realized she was being selfish. Selfish with her expectations. Selfish with her past.

The truth of the matter was that she wanted something serious with Vincent. He aroused her in ways that no one else had before. It very well might be due to his risqué rendezvous in the past – he was simply good with women and she herself was one.

She just wanted him to be hers now, and only hers.

Her insecurities were crushed when she went into the office the following Monday. Waiting on her desk was not a bouquet, but a basket of roses. Their delicate aroma wafted throughout the entire room and instantly calmed her senses from rush hour traffic. The handwritten note caught her attention immediately.

"Would you believe me if I said that these can't hold a candle to your beauty?

~ Vincent"

She couldn't help but blush at his cheesy prose, but she secretly relished in being spoiled by a gentleman.

She sent him a message.

"Don't tell me that you've missed me so much that you grew your own rose garden."

She could practically hear his smirk through his reply, "I tried, but they told me it would take weeks to grow and I was really hoping I'd see you again before then."

She felt a smile tug at her lips.

"I'm free for dinner tonight."

"And I'm free to host."

His reply came quick and piqued Rose's curiosity. She wanted to see how Vincent lived.

"Okay, we could just order in then."

"I think you underestimate my abilities. I'll be making dinner."

Now, she was really interested.

"Alright, Chef Vincent, let's see if you can impress me."

";)"

His cheekiness better have grounds, she thought, while shifting her attention back to the computer.