Chapter 11

Harry's POV: 

A few weeks had passed, Sierra had just finished her third chemo treatment and only had one left.  It was a Tuesday, Sierra and I sat in the living room watching a movie. My mother had called earlier and insisted on bringing us dinner, because she knew the two of us were probably tired.

Like every night that followed a chemo treatment, the night before had been rough.  Sierra spent hours in the bathroom, with me sitting next to her, rubbing her back and holding her hair back.  By the time she felt well enough to go to bed, it was past 4am.  The two of us didn’t wake up until after 3pm.

“My Mum needs to hurry,” I whined, moving to lay down on the couch and put my head in Sierra’s lap.  “I’m starved,”

Sierra reached down and ran her fingers through my curls, not taking her eyes from the tv as the movie ended.

“Hey beautiful,” I whispered as the credits started to roll.

“Hmm?” she peeled her eyes away and looked down at me.

I reached my hand up to gently touch her cheek.  “I love you,”

She smiled at me.  “I love you too,”

“How're you feeling?”

“Pretty good,” she replied and took a drink from her bottle of water.

There was a knock at the door and I jumped to my feet. I leaned down and planted a playful and sloppy kiss on Sierra’s lips.

“Ew,” she giggled, wiping her mouth. She stood from the couch and folded up the throw blanket she had been using. 

“Hi mum,” I opened the door, finding Anne on the other side. I took the grocery bags from her hands and moved to put them on the kitchen counter. 

“Hey honey,” she replied, laying her purse down by the front door.  She quickly moved across the room and pulled Sierra into a hug.  “Hello my sweet girl.  How are you feeling?”

“Hi mum," Sierra smiled, hugging her back. "I'm feeling okay,”

“Well, you look just as beautiful as ever,” Anne replied, brushing Sierra’s blonde locks out of her face and pushing them behind her ear.

“You better be cooking something good,” I looped his arms around Sierra’s waist and rested my chin on her shoulder. “I’m starving, mummy,”

“Okay, okay,” Anne smiled.  “I’m making you guys some pork chops, mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli,”

“Sounds great,” Sierra smiled.

Anne moved into the kitchen and pulled the groceries out of the bags.  "Oh, I almost forgot," she smiled brightly at Sierra, holding up a bag of nuts.  "I got these for your little friend,"

"Aw!" Sierra squealed and took the bag from her hand.  "Thank you, he'll be so happy!"

"Thanks," I shook my head as Sierra rushed out the sliding glass door in search of her outdoor pet. "All she needs is more encouragement to keep that rat around,"

"Oh, Harold, really!" Anne shook her head at me in a motherly tone, as she dug out a couple of pots and pans from the cabinet.  "If that 'rat' makes her happy, then let it be,"

I sighed and sat down on the barstool on the other side of the counter, watching as my mum started to prepare dinner.

"So," she handed me some potatoes and a peeler.  "How is she really feeling?"

I picked up a potato and went to work, peeling it.  "I think she's okay," I shrugged. 

"She's looking thin,"