Chapter 25

Hallie

"You and I aren't much different you know," Damien suddenly said as we lay beneath the stars.

The day has been more than anything I could ever imagine. We rode horses, tasted different types of wine and showed me the process of making it. We took a stroll and found comfort with just holding each other's hands and not needing words. Enjoyed a wonderful picnic by the lake and a romantic dinner by the fire. And now here we are, with the night nearing the end, which means by tomorrow, I'll have to ask him to let me go. No matter how much I may not want to.

I have to.

I have to let him go. To keep him safe. To keep his family safe. I won't be able to forgive myself if anything were to happen to him. But I still have this night. And I'm going to make every second count.

"My sisters, my cousin, my aunts, my brothers, they've all been through hell and back. And growing up, having to see it and see how it affected my family and our lives, it does change you. It puts fear in you that you never want to feel. But I choose to fight it everyday. Because I know that what's waiting on the other side is worth it. And honestly, because of everything, some days I feel a hell of a lot older than I am. I feel like time is passing me by and I'm standing still. I have my family, but almost all of them have found their reason for living. A husband, a wife... their kids. A home. All I have is my work. And I don't want it to become my entire life. I want what they have. A wife to come home to. Children to fill my house. I want a reason to live. We all need a reason to live. And I've found mine," he said as he took my hand.

He leaned over me and brushed his hand across my cheek.

"Damien..." I shook my head. "I'm not her. I can't give you those things."

"Why not?"

"Because my life is a mess. My step father is after me. He wants me dead and he's not beyond going any means to get what he wants."

"And I already told you that I'm going to protect you. Nothing will happen to you and to Ty and Michy."

"You can't promise that," I pointed out. "You don't know what will happen tomorrow."

"You're right. I don't. But what I do know is that I'm going to do everything that I can to protect you and your kids. I'd die protecting you and Ty and Michy."

"Damien... I..."

"You don't have to say anything."

"You promised you'd let me go after one day."

He nodded. "I know."

"I need you to keep that promise," I said.

"I've never broken a promise in my life," he replied, pain evident in his eyes.

"Good."

"Hallie..."

"Tomorrow, when we get back to the city, I'd like to start looking for a place for me and my kids."

"Is that what you really want?" He asked.

I nodded.

"Okay," he simply said.

I closed my eyes, trying to ignore the pain. One day he'll understand why I'm doing this.

Damien

I don't understand. I don't understand why she's so determined in pushing me away.

But maybe this is what we both need right now. So, I'll keep my promise and let her go. Make her miss me.