Chapter 22

Damien

"We've spoken to her Winston," Nate said.

I looked at him. "And?"

"He couldn't believe it at first. He was surprised. Shocked to say the least. He couldn't believe he could possibly have a daughter. But he knew Hallie's mother and admitted to a brief affair. He agreed that it's a possibility that he could have fathered a child from her. After the initial shock wore off, he got pretty excited at the possibility."

"It's his loss if he wants to deny Hallie," I started to growl.

"Woah. Relax. I didn't say he was denying her. I said he was surprised, which is a normal reaction don't you think?"

I shook my head.

"He wants to meet her. As soon as possible, he said. Though demanded might be more accurate. so whenever she's ready, we can arrange it."

I nodded.

"Winston is one of the good ones, Dame."

I nodded.

"Then what's wrong? You don't look so happy about this."

"I am," I countered. "It's just..."

"Just what?"

"The fact that she has a father who wants to meet her and wants to be a part of her life. A wealthy father, just gives her more reason not to accept what I'm offering her," I admitted. "I've finally found the one who I'm madly in love with and she's doing everything she can to push me away. How the hell do I get her to trust me and let me in?"

"She already does trust you and has let you in," Nate argues. "She wouldn't be with you if she didn't. Yes, she's fighting it, but that's her protective instinct and fear reacting. She already knows deep down that she can trust you. She confided in you. You have to give her some time, Damien. She's been terrified and terrorized for a long time, she's only just learning how it feels to feel safe again."

"I know that. I just, I'm scared too. Im scared of loosing her. She can walk away anytime and I won't be able to stop her."

"Damien, I know you well enough that you're not the one to give up. So what if she walks away? You'll just go to her and bring her back. Her kids call you dad for fuck's sake and she hasn't exactly said anything to stop it. In fact, she seemed quite happy with the fact that her kids finally has a man to look up to."

"I can't even begin to explain to you how happy I am and how my heart feels like it's going to explode every time I hear ty and Michy call me their dad."

"I think I know," he said, nodding towards his kids.

I smiled and nodded. "Nate, I don't know if I've said it yet, but thank you is not nearly enough to express how grateful I am to you. You've made my sister the happiest she could ever be. You brought her back to life and helped our family heal. You've given us the greatest gift and you don't even know it. We are lucky to have you in our family. My sister is lucky to have you."

"She's my whole life, Dame," he said as his gaze found my sister.

"I know."

"I'm the one who's lucky."

I smiled.

"She's yours, Damien.  She knows it, and one day, the time will come where she won't be able to deny it any longer."

My gaze found her, holding a sleeping Michy and my heart squeezed tenderly.

Mine.

Mine to protect.

Mine to love.

I walked over to her and as if I'm cue, like she could feel me she raised her eyes and met mine.

"We should get our kids home," I said. Yes. Our kids.

I proceeded to lift a very sleepy and tired Ty off of my mom. "Thanks, mom."

"You're welcome, sweetheart. You take care of your family, okay?" She whispered softly, that only I could hear.

"With my life," I promised.

"We love you, son," my dad said.

"And I you, both."

"Will see you soon, sweet boy," my said, dropping a sweet kiss on Ty's head, before doing the same to Michy. "Hallie," my mom said as she hugged her. "We'll see you soon, sweetheart."

Hallie blushed and smiled.

Hallie

"Are you okay?" Damien asked after putting Ty and Michy to bed.

I nodded automatically. To be honest, I don't know how I feel. Tonight was great. His family was amazing and welcoming. But I fear they've gotten the wrong idea about Me and Damien. Then there was Ty and a Michy referring to him as dad.

Oh god.

"I can see the wheels turning in your head. Talk to me."

I looked at him.

I shook my head.

"Hallie..."

"Damien, tonight your family..." I trailed off. "They were wonderful. I just... you should have or maybe I should have told them we're not I mean we aren't in that sort of relationship."

"Yet."

I frowned.

"Listen, stop worrying about that. What you should be thinking about is when you would like to meet your father," he said.

"What?"

"Nate told me that they've spoken to Winston. He was surprised at first but he would like to meet you."

"He does?"

Damien nodded.

"I would like to meet him too. As soon as possible," I said. "Did he say anything else? About a paternity test? Anything?"

"Nothing about paternity test. He admitted to knowing your mother and having an affair with her, so he also admits to the possibility of fathering a child. After the initial shock wore off, Nate said he got excited at the thought of having a child."

I nodded excitement now bubbling inside me as well. Especially knowing that he accepts the possibility of being my father.

"You look exactly like him. There's no doubt that you are his child."

I smiled. "I hope Nate hasn't told him anything else."

"I'm sure he hasn't. I'm sure your dad would appreciate hearing everything from you."

I nodded.

"Why didn't you get some rest. I'll let Nate know that he can go ahead and arrange a meeting between you two."

"Thank you."

"I'd do anything for you, Hallie," he said, before dropping a kiss at the top of my head.

"That's what I'm afraid of," I whispered softly as I watched him walk away.

*****

I know it's a short chapter, but exciting chapters are ahead, so stay tuned!

Thank you again for your continued patience and support.