Chapter 11

Hallie

"Whoever he is, I'm not him." He said.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I said, denying his claims, even though my mind was racing as to how he could have guessed.

Am I that obvious?

"I'm not going to force you to talk to me because I know I haven't warned your trust just yet. I pretty much rail-roaded you into doing things my way," I gave him that "you think" look making him chuckle.

"Yeah. I know, but Hallie, I will earn your trust," he said.

"Why?" I asked again. "Why are you doing this? We're not your responsibility. You don't owe us anything. Why can't you just let us get on our way and leave you in peace," I said. "I understand any of this. I don't understand why you insist on keeping us here." I know I've asked this so many times and I sound like a broken record, but he hasn't really given me an answer. He keeps deflecting. But not this time. This time I'm determined to get an answer out of him. His answer might help me decide if I can trust him or not.

"I don't know!" He let our in exasperation. "I know you keep asking me that question and I wish I had the answers to your questions, but I don't. I just know I can't turn a blind eye on people who desperately need help. All I know is that I can't let you walk away. All I know is that I have," he shook his said. "No. I need to help you. For some reason, ever since you ran into me, I haven't forgotten about you. I haven't been able to get you out of head, to the point that, I went to that diner everyday just to see if I could see you again. I was disappointed when one of the ladies there told me you no longer worked there and wouldn't give me any information on where I can find you and I know that I sound crazy, but I just knew... knew I had to see you again," he explained. "And by luck, that night when I thought all hope was lost, I saw a woman rummaging through the garbage and I felt this pull. It was telling me to go and see what that crazy lady is up to," he smiled a little "and that was the best thing I ever did. I was so happy and angry at the same time at seeing you. Happy, because I finally found you and angry, because I didn't know how hard things are for you."

I frowned. I had no idea that was how he felt.

"I... I..." I trailed, not knowing what to say.

"There, that's all I have to say."

"I don't know what you want me to say," I said.

"Just say that you'll hear me out and least give me a chance..."

"A chance to what?"

"To help you. To earn your trust."

I looked at him for a few moments. I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"I'll try," I said honestly.

"That's all I can ask," he said.

Damien

I look over to where Hallie was playing with Ty
and Michy and I couldn't help the smile that washed over me.

"I can't remember the last time I saw you smile the way you're smiling right now," my mom said, as she stopped beside me.

I looked at my mom. "I smile all the time," I retorted.

She nodded. "Yeah, but not like this."

"I don't know mom, but I think she may be the one," I said honestly. "It sounds crazy, but what else could it be? How else could I explain the way I'm feeling right now? I know that I haven't known her long, but ever since I met her, she's all I ever thought of."

My mom smiled. "Honey, if you're looking for someone to tell you how crazy you sound then you're looking and talking to the wrong person. You know well enough how quickly I fell for your father."

I nodded. "She's like an onion, mom. I have to peel her one layer at a time. I could tell that she's scared of something or someone, but she's not ready to talk about it yet."

"I got the same feeling while talking to her and all I can is to be patient with her. She'll come around when she's ready," she said. "I know you, Damien, you're a lot like your father. You never take no for an answer, especially when you've set your mind on something, but let me tell you this, it won't work on her," she said, nodding towards Hallie.

I chuckled. "Don't I know it. She's been fighting me every step of the way, and I have a feeling it's only just begun."

My mom laughed softly. "Then she's perfect for you."

*****

Tune in tomorrow for another update!

Thank you for your continued support ❤️