Chapter 43

Marcus

"If you think it's over, you're mistaken," I said as I looked at Hallie's picture. "No one crosses me and lives."

"What's our next move?"

I smiled. "I don't need to do anything." I said. "She'll come to me."

I smiled to myself. I know her too well. She won't be able to resist trying to save her loved ones from me. She'll do whatever it takes to keep them safe and she'll sacrifice herself... the stupid bitch.

She doesn't know what I have planned.

Hallie

A knock on the door sounded just as I was settling in bed.

"Come in," I said.

"It's Damien," Nate said.

I smiled and quickly got the phone from him.

"Hello?"

"Hi. Are you okay?"

"I am now," I said. God, it's good to hear his voice. I can feel him smile in the other end of the line.

"I just wanted to make sure you're okay," he said. "Hallie, please promise me that you'll do what Nate says."

I frowned. "Damien what are you really worried about?" I asked.

"I'm worried that you'll put yourself at risk," he said.

I sighed. "Damien, don't worry about me. Where am I going to go?"

He sighed too. "I can't lose you again, Hallie."

I closed my eyes as I tried to control my emotions. "You'll never lose me. I'm always in your heart," I replied.

"Don't say it like that."

"Like what?" I asked as I bit my quivering lip to stop me from crying out.

"Like you're saying goodbye to me," he said.

I covered my mouth to silence my tears. "I'll see you soon," I said.

"I'll see you soon, Hallie."

"Damien," I said before ending the call.

"Yeah?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat. I don't know what will happen. This might be the last time we ever talk to each other and knowing that kills me, but I know what I need to do. This family... our family is my life and I will protect them at all cost. Even if it costs me my life. "I love you, so much."

"Hallie... stop saying it like that. Nothing will happen to you. Nothing. I won't let it. None of us will. I know that you're scared, but I need you to trust me. Please trust me, trust us to keep you safe."

"I trust our family, Damien. Please know that."

"Good. I'll see you soon then."

"Soon. Goodnight," I said and ended the call. Only then did I cry out.

Damien

"How is she doing? Really?" I asked. "I know that she's trying to be strong, but I know she's struggling." I just want to hold her in my arms and tell her it's going to be okay and it will be over soon.

"She's worried about you more than anything. She's afraid that you'll get hurt because of her. All of us really. She doesn't want any of us to be hurt. She blames herself for bringing Marcus into our lives."

I sighed. "I know. I just wish there was something I could do or say to make her stop feeling that way."

"Once this is over and Marcus is behind bars, she'll realize that she's given you such an amazing gift," Nate said. "I haven't said it, but Damien, you have no idea how happy we all are for you. I'm glad that you've found your person."