New Beginnings- Natasha's Gift

For: FemRussia

It was pretty late when I got the call, or early? Whatever you consider three in the morning as.

It was my neighbor Miss Jareds, "''llo?" I answered my cell.

"Hey Clint, I need a favor... Can you come over?"

I sat up and Laura mumbled, "Who is it?"

I got out of bed and answered quietly, "The neighbor," before going back to the phone, "What do you need?" I asked as I pulled on some pants and a t-shirt.

"My mare just went into labor and I need help, Joe's not home," she answered.

Laura pulled the blanket higher over herself and went back to sleep.

I opened my bedroom door and closed it quietly behind me, heading downstairs, "I'm about to head your way," I informed her.

I heard her horse cry out over the phone, "Please hurry, I don't think its going well..."

I pulled on my boots, "You're in the barn right?" I asked.

There was a quick, 'Yeah' on the other end.

"Okay, I'll be over in five,".

She hung up on the other end, so I pulled on my other boot.

"Where are you going?" I heard a groggy voice ask.

I looked up to see Pietro leaning against the doorframe rubbing his eye with a knuckle.

"The neighbors, her horse just went into labor and she doesn't have anyone else to help her," I answered, tying my boot.

"Can I go?" Pietro asked, starting to look a bit more awake.

"Put your shoes on, because I'm leaving now. Don't worry about changing, you're going to sit off to the side anyway," Pietro looked down at his pajamas that he had on and shrugged, picking up his tennis shoes.

He sat down in a chair from the table before he pulled his shoes on.

I grabbed my keys from the hook, and waited for Pietro to finish pulling on his shoes, which didn't take longer than fifteen seconds.

"Load up," was the last thing I said before I headed out the door.

Pietro locked the door behind us.
.
.
.
We were there about four and a half minutes later.

I pulled the truck all the way to the barn doors before I stopped and jumped out.

Pietro was on my heels and followed me inside.

"Oh thank God Clint," Miss Jareds said as she noticed me come in.

She ran over to open the gate, "I don't think she's doing well," she admitted.

One of her roan quarter horse mares was laying on the ground.

I could see one hoof and the head from the foal. This was going to take a while...
.
.
.
It took almost an hour and a half to get the foal out.

The poor mare looked exhausted. She laid on the ground breathing heavily, but her baby was laying there with her looking at the world in wonder.

Miss Jareds was standing off to the side with Pietro, "Is she gonna be okay?" she questioned, looking concerned.

The foal sneezed, "I'm not sure, but you should call a vet and see if they could come look at her now," I told her.

She reached in her pocket and pulled out her phone, "Okay, I'll give them a call now. Thank you Clint,".

I nodded, "I'll see you around Miss Jareds,".

Pietro got to his feet.

"It was nice meeting you Pietro," she said as she put the phone to her ear.

"Hello? Yes I need-"

I took that as our cue to leave. I waved Pietro over and we headed out. I peeled the shoulder length gloves I'd been wearing off and threw them away into the trashcan by the door.

"You think Laura will let me take a nap?" I asked Pietro as we got in the truck, it was almost five fifteen in the morning.

"She will make you shower before you go anywhere near the room, and she will probably have breakfast when you get out. So probably not,".

I sighed and hit my forehead against the steering wheel.
.
.
.
The next update I got on the foal and his mother was almost a week later.

Mister Jareds had returned from his business trip a few days ago and the mare had passed away last night.

He said she'd had an artery hemmorage during birth that the vet hadn't seen, and that they didn't have the time to bottle feed the foal.

I looked over at Pietro, who was sitting at the kitchen table with his sister watching Lila color.

"Yeah, I'll come pick him up. Gimmie a second to get my shoes on," I answered before I hung up the phone.

"Pietro, get your shoes on. I've got a surprise for you,".