Growing Up~The Captain's Friends

For: BiancaEvans2        Continuing from the ending of the book.

"What are those?"

"My pups," I told Lucky as I laid my head down on the blanket lining my box.

Lucky tilted his head, "Where did they come from?" Lucky asked as he put his front paws on the edge of the box, causing me to growl.

Clint came and grabbed Lucky's collar and moved him back a bit, "Down boy," Clint told him as he moved him back a few feet.

Steve was watching intently from the doorway.

I stopped growling and moved my head to rest on my pups, curling my body to cover them completely.

Bucky moved to peak into the box, "We should wait a while before letting Lucky try again, she seems fine with him outside, but with the puppies I think it's a no-go for now,". 

The rest of the room seemed to be in agreement.
.
.
.
A few weeks had passed and Lucky hadn't been allowed into the living room since then.

Steve had taken the precaution of setting up baby gates around the entrances to the room.

I could jump over them easily; Lucky seemingly couldn't.

My pups were starting to find their voices and their legs as they tried to move around their confinement.

Steve opened a gate that was on the front of the box, I trotted out to go lay by the couch.

The pups tried to follow, but weren't very successful, it took them a bit.

Steve was sitting on the floor when they finally got out.

Bucky was helping the pups over the small block that helped secure the gate before he sat next to Steve on the floor.

Bucky whistled, looking at me.

I got up and moved to lay beside Bucky.

My pups were slowly, but surely, making their way over to Steve, Bucky, and I.

The biggest female, which Bucky called her Bozo, made it first. The second was the little male Steve called Ace, another male called Bear was the third. Lady on the other hand, took her sweet time getting over here.

Bucky had named her Lady because she was bossy and despised anything dirty. They figured this out when she cried until they washed the blanket.

Clint climbed in over the baby gate, "Oh are we releasing the horde?" he asked as he sat down next to me, rubbing my back.

Lucky had followed Clint to the baby gate, but had gone no further, choosing to sulk behind the gate.

"Should we let them go outside?" Steve asked after a while of playing with Bear.

Clint shrugged, "It's whatever, but make sure Bullet gets outside too. Maybe we can try her and Lucky again?" Clint told them as Steve stood up.

"Bullet let's go outside," he told me, causing me to rise to my paws.

I followed him over the baby gate and out the door, where he let Lucky outside as well.

Clint and Bucky were collecting puppies.

I let Lucky trot ahead of me before I ran and bowled him over.

He gave a startled yelp as he hit the ground and watched me take off running.

It took him a moment to realize that I was playing with him; he rolled back onto his paws before chasing after me.

I was still much faster than him, even after having done almost nothing for almost two months.

I continued to run, even after I heard Clint and Bucky come outside to put the pups in the grass. I slowed to a walk; Lucky did the same, panting heavily.

I headed over to my puppies with Lucky warily following me, "Where did they come from?" Lucky asked hesitantly.

I walked behind my pups before sitting down, "When we jumped the fence," I told him.

His ears flattened as he sat down as well, "I'm sorry," he told me as he bowed his head with a whine.

I picked up Ace, who was trying to wander off and put him back with the others.

"What are their names?" Lucky asked after watching me.

"Ace, Bear, Bozo, and Lady," I told him, picking up each pup as I told him their names.

"Bozo?" he sounded confused.

"Bucky named her, she tried to crawl over the box when she was smaller," I told him.

Lucky hesitantly sniffed at one of Bear, who made a small growling noise before falling over.

Lucky looked at me, I laid down; it seemed to assure him that he could continue what he was doing.

He sniffed at all of them before laying down on the other side of the pup mound.