New Arrival -Bucky's New Pet

For: Zohannah05

"I think we should get a dog," Steve randomly announced as the three of us were laying on the couch.

Bucky muted the TV before facing Steve, "What?" He asked.

I climbed onto Bucky's thigh to stare at Steve.

"I think we should get a dog," Steve repeated, putting a hand on Bucky's legs, which were resting in his lap.

"What kind of dog?" Bucky questioned, reaching a hand out to pet my back.

I turned my head to stare at him, what kind of dog? Don't amuse the idea Bucky. I didn't want a dog, we didn't need a dog, why were we even talking about getting a dog?

"I don't know, I want to get one from the shelter we got Angel from," Steve told him as he reached out and pet my head.

I flattened my ears and stared at him.

I could feel Bucky staring at me, "I'm not opposed to getting a dog," Bucky said finally.

I sensed that there was a but in his tone.

"But I don't want a dog that will hurt Angel," he finished.

Steve nodded his head in agreement, "Well of course,".

I moved all the way up to Bucky's throat and curled up there.

"So when did you want to get one?"
.
.
.
As it turns out, since it was only eight in the morning, today was a perfect time to go to the shelter and get a dog.

I perched on Bucky's shoulder as we entered the shelter that I apparently came from.

There was a woman at the desk, "Oh, hello! What can I help you with?" The brunette asked.

Bucky silently put me in the pocket of his hoodie as he stood behind Steve, who stepped up to answer, "We're looking to get a dog,".

I peeked my head out of the pocket.

The woman smiled, "That's fantastic! We just got a bunch transferred in last night," she told us as she got up, swiping a lanyard that had keys on it from the desk.

"Well? Come on," the woman urged as she started down a hallway.

There was a door with an outline of a dog on it.

"So what kind of dog are you two looking for?" The woman asked as she started fiddling with the keys before she singled out one of them.

Steve turned to Bucky for an answer. "Your dog," was all Bucky said.

"Um, I would like a social dog that doesn't have a problem with people or cats and likes to exercise," Steve thought up.

The woman turned the key in the door. "Any particular size?" She questioned as the door opened, which cued a lot of barking.

I could feel Bucky tense up.

"Not really," Steve told her after a little thought.

The woman occasionally flipped through a clipboard that was attached to the dogs' cages.

Steve walked along the cages for a bit, looking over a lot of dogs.

The woman kept talking about how she'd noticed each dog had acted since she'd met them yesterday.

It seemed that Steve had ignored her though, he had stopped in front of a cage and was flipping through the papers on its clipboard.

Bucky and I hadn't moved from the door, but Bucky slowly moved over to him.

There was a huge dog laying in the dog bed. He had his head laying on his paws as he silently stared at Steve and Bucky.

"What about this guy?" Steve asked.

The woman stopped talking and turned around, "Oh, the big guy? He's been here for a couple months. His name's Brutus and he's three," she informed us.

Brutus' tail twitched at the mention of his name.

"How is he with smaller animals?" Bucky piped up, shoving his hand into the hoodie pocket to rub my head.

"We haven't tested how he would be with smaller animals, but he's good with children and other people. I honestly don't think he could hurt a fly," she told them.
.
.
.
Bucky took me to the car as Steve and the woman tested Brutus with some of the cats they had.

He plucked me out of his pocket by my scruff to set me on his lap.

I gave a mew and started to purr against his hand.

Bucky stared down at me and scritched behind my ear for a while before he looked up. Bucky clicked the unlock switch on the door just as the back opened.

I could hear the clicking of nails against plastic.

"Was it necessary to carry him out in a kennel or do you just like showing off?" Bucky asked as Steve got in the car.

"Fight me Buck," was all Steve said as he buckled himself up.

There was a little noise from the big kennel as the huge dog got comfortable.
.
.
.
Bucky left Steve to bring in the dog while he went up to our floor and started fixing the giant a water bowl.

I sat perched on the counter.

Steve came in walking the dog instead of carrying him in a kennel.

The dog wore a black leather collar with a matching leash, I puffed up my fur as it stared up at me.

"I do hope you realize that we don't have dog food, or anything dog related," Bucky told Steve as he placed the bowl on the floor.

"I was gonna order it when I actually had his size," Steve told him as he unclipped the leash and reached for his phone.

Bucky plucked me from the counter and sat at the table, the dog sat at Bucky's feet and stared at me from my place on Bucky's lap.

I fluffed up more and hissed.

The dog just stared at me and started to wag its tail.

Bucky and Steve stared at him.

He leaned closer and as licked me. His tongue was practically the size of my body.

I hissed loudly and raised a paw to swipe at him.

The dog only wagged its tail harder.

"I think they'll be fine," was all Steve said as he left to go sit in the living room.

Bucky picked me up and stared at me for a moment before he followed after Steve.

Unfortunately the dog followed and insisted on laying on the couch with us.