Safety-Natasha's Gift

It was beautiful out in the pasture, I think that's why Clint let us out.

There were wildflowers everywhere, they seemed endless.

Lila and Cooper looked excited, running towards the pasture gate to climb it.

Pietro and Wanda had left a few months back, it had been a lot quieter without them.

Napoleon and I watched as the two ran towards the center of the field to look at the flowers.

Napoleon started heading to the pond, which was not as easily seen because of the flowers.

I could see Clint working on the barn while Laura and their new child, Nathaniel, sat on the porch.

I nosed at the more colorful patch of flowers for a bit before making my way over to Lila, who was sitting in the midst of the flowers, barely visible.

She was trying to weave a flower crown, Cooper was off a few feet away looking for bugs.

I bowed my head and nosed at Lila, who laughed and put the poorly made crown on my head, only staying on my head because of my ear.

I gave her a gentle nudge with my nose before lifting my head to spot Cooper, he was crouched down, digging around a pile of dirt with a stick.

Lila made a small cry, causing my attention to snap back down towards her. There were ants on her leg.

I nosed at her leg to try to remove them as she wiped them off, tears welling in her eyes.

She stood when they were all removed, trying to crawl on my back.

I lowered my front half and let her crawl on before making my way over to the gate.

Clint started making his way over from the barn when he saw that Lila was done, she usually stayed out much longer.

Clint picked up pace when he saw her face, opening the gate to take her off my back.

"What happened?" I heard him ask as he closed the gate and started to the house.

She told him about the ants and I heard him mutter about poison before the two were out of earshot.

So I turned and started making my way back to Cooper.

I slowed to a stop when I noticed a shape that hadn't been there before.

It was a light tan color, it stood out from the flowers.

I stared at it for a moment, it was a few meters away from Cooper.

I didn't like it, whatever it was.

I started walking closer to Cooper, eyeing the mysterious shape as I got closer.

The shape also became clearer as I neared, Cooper continued to poke at the soft dirt with the stick, unaware of the thing behind him.

I watched as two buldges on the top of the shape shifted, near Cooper. Only then did it click, that was a hunter. It was hunting Cooper.

I gave a loud bellow as I ran after it, the shape immediately took off in the opposite direction, revealing a catlike form.

Cooper gave a small scream as he saw what I was after and started running for the house, Clint was already running over.

Napoleon quickly made his way over to the gate as I chased the cat, practically touching its tail as I got closer.

I only stopped when the creature wormed its way through the barb wire fence, I let out another loud bellow as I skidded to a stop, a warning.

I waited until the cat's steps disappeared into the distance before I turned back to see Cooper, who was being carried back to the house by Clint.

Laura was in the doorway with Lila holding onto her skirt.
.
.
.
Clint came back out almost an hour later, his bow strapped to his back as he opened the gate.

Napoleon hadn't moved from the gate since I'd chased off the cat.

Clint grabbed the halter Napoleon had and took him to the barn before standing at the gate and whistling for me, I was still at the fence to watch for it.

I started moving when Clint whistled a third time.

Clint kept us in the barn for two days.

When he put us back in the pasture, the grass was mowed and the flowers were as well.