Chapter 15

Chapter 15: Seeing Him Again

2018

 Kathrine hadn’t seen her twin brother in almost seven months and it was now February 2018. She now was focused on divorcing Jonathon, her relationship with Jackson and of course on Zack. Now that he was almost three he was a handful. Her relationship with Jackson had only gotten better, since Riley was out of her life. They had been getting closer and closer. She was finally able to trust him again. And she even got to meet his father, Alex.

            “How’s your book coming along?” Jackson asked as he came over to her. She had been working on her book every chance she got.

            “It’s coming.” She sighed.

            “That doesn’t sound to good.” He said.

            “I know, it’s nothing about the book.” She said. “It’s stuff about John.”

            “Do you want me to go with you when you take the papers to his mom?” he asked her as he pulled her to her feet for a minute, so he could sit in the chair, then had her sit on his lap.

            “No, I need someone to watch Zack for me and my mom is busy.” She said. “Although, you could meet me at Valley’s Dinner, for lunch at noon tomorrow.”

            “Sure.” He smiled as Zack came running in.

            “Hi, mommy.” He said smiling.

            “What’d you do now?” she asked. She knew the only reason he would come downstairs just to say hi meant he did something.

            “I don’t know.” He giggled.

            “Go see what he did, please.” She rolled her eyes trying so hard not to laugh at her son.

            “Yes, I will.”  He said as he made her get so he could get up. After he left she began to think about Jonathon and how she use to love him. Now that she was thinking about him she kind of missed him. Not enough to go back to the abuse, but just enough to think about how it use to be when they were dating.

            “He just painted the living room wall as high as he could reach.” Jackson laughed as he came back into the office. She jumped at the sound of his voice and looked at him confused.

            “What?” she asked.

            “He just painted the living room wall.” He repeated himself. He tilted his head to his left side and look at her. “Are you okay?”

            “Yeah.” She said quickly. “Why wouldn’t I be?”

            “Kate, I know you,” he said as kneeled beside her. “Now, what’s wrong?”

            “I was just thinking.” She said going back to typing. She wouldn’t dare tell him that she was thinking about her ex-husband. It wasn’t right that she should be thinking about Jonathon anyway. The man did beat her almost everyday after she got pregnant.

            “No, you weren’t.” he said. He stared into her eyes for a moment then sighed and stood up. “But I’m not going to worry about you unless I think something really is wrong. For all I know you could just be thinking about Riley.”

            “No, I was thinking about Jonathon.” She said then stood up and looked him straight in his eyes. “I’m leaving you and going back to John.”