Chapter 8

Chapter 8: Meeting Amelia

Kathrine was visiting with her mother since she hadn’t seen her in three weeks. Her mother was the only one who knew about what had happen between her and Jackson the night they kissed. Sara had promised not to tell anyone especially Riley about it.

"So has anything else happen between you and Jackson since the kiss?" Sara asked as she cooked lunch.

"No and honestly I hope nothing does." Kathrine admitted.

"And why not?" Sara asked "Jackson as always been a nice boy for as long as I can remember."

"Yeah and so was Jonathon," Kathrine said then hesitated to keep talking. "Until I got pregnant with Zack."

"Jackson is not Jonathon, Kathrine." Sara said as Kathrine's phone rang.

"It's Jackson." Kathrine said looking at her caller ID.

"Well are you going to answer it or not?" Sara laughed.

"Hello?" Kathrine said answering her phone. "Hi Jackson.

"I'm delivering a dual truck to a customer out in the country. You want to come along? We can take the train back." Jackson said on the phone.

"Hold on a sec." Kathrine said then put her cell phone to her chest then looked at her mom. "Jackson wants me to go with him somewhere, would you watch Zack?"

"Yes, now go." Sara smiled basically pushing Kathrine out the door.

"Sure I’ll go." Kathrine told Jackson as she got back on the phone.

"Okay meet me at the train station." Jackson said on the phone.

Fifteen minutes later Kathrine was inside the train station, hiding behind one of the fake plants that was by the doorway, since this was the town that Jonathon lived in. She scoped out the street. When she didn’t see anything resembling Jonathon or his black Chevy truck, she went outside.

Standing in a sheltered patch of sunshine, shielded from the legendary winds, she was warm. Kathrine basked in her little bit of sunshine, until she heard a beep. It was Jackson in a shiny blue Ford truck.

"Nice truck." Kathrine said.

"Riley and I modified the engine," Jackson said as he hopped out. "It goes to one-twenty in sixty seconds. And the exterior ...you like?"

He paraded her around the vehicle, pointing out the gold flecks in the Hawsworth blue paint. And showed her that when the light reflected a certain way you could see a deep pink flower with a thorny stalk encircling the truck.

"Madam..." He said as he opened the passenger door.

"Thank you." Kathrine smiled.

"Give it a sec and it will warm you up." he told her as he got in on the driver side.

While Jackson wove through traffic, Kathrine was busy looking out for Jonathon's black truck. Out of the corner of her eye she caught Kathrine watching her after she had ooh'd and aah'd over every little gadget.

"Whose truck is this anyway?" Kathrine asked as the drove over the bridge leading to the country.

"My mother's, we're going to her place." Jackson said as Kathrine watched the country side go by.

"This reminds me of going home." She told him as a wave of sadness washed over her. Jackson reached over and squeezed her hand.

"We'll only be on here for a few miles; then we will switch over to Angola Works West road."