Chapter 2: Lucian Briar and the Healing magic

Start from the beginning

I remembered that I had a skill called mapping, I was sure that a skill like that would lead me to a nearby town.

I called out the name of the skill I saw form the text message "Mapping."

This skill was incredible; suddenly my normal vision was replaced with some supercool x-ray vision. I could see my surrounding as if I were a bird flying way over my head. I could see from all directions all at the same time. I could also see all the animals trotting along and hiding within the large forest, some small deer grazing peacefully and some brides chirping in the trees. This world was so beautiful, nothing like the concrete jungle that is New York.

Viola! A few kilometres out of the opposite side of the forest was a small town. The name of the town was displayed in my Mapping vision, it read: Willow's Town. I could see quite a few people walking around and talking. I could also see some shops. I thought that maybe they would have an Inn or someplace where I could sleep the night. I thought that that would be the best start to this journey of mine, find a bed to sleep in and get some money for your travels, or whatever they trade-in on this planet.

I set off walking through the forest. Luckily for me there was a trail of some sort leading through it, the trail seemed to twist and wind and after a while, I wondered if the person who had made this path was drunk, but after checking with my mapping vision a few times, I was satisfied that I was going the right way.

Two hours later I decided to stop for a break. Trekking through a forest was really too much for a lazy city girl like me, even a magically reincarnated city-girl like me. I sat gently down on a smooth looking rock to rest my aching legs and feet for a while and let my eyes wander and really appreciate the beautiful scenery of green fresh forestry. I noticed cute storybook-like red and white mushrooms popping up from between tree roots. Also, pastel-coloured flowers swaying gently in the breeze. Then I noticed something popping out from the long grass off to one side of the path. There was a carriage or cart of sorts laying on its side, a few meters to the right. Its wooden structure was still intact but it was definitely toppled over.

How strange. Just a random cart lying on its side in the middle of a forest. I navigated my way through long grass to go and get a better look. When I reached the wooden cart I saw that piles of chopped wood had spilt over the side of the cart and were just laying there next to it. I noticed that the cart had two wheels at the back and two extended wooden planks at the front. I guess it was the type of cart that a human would pull. But then where was the human?

I realized that there was a buckle of some sort sticking out from underneath the cart. It was the shine that caught my attention. I clasped my hand around it and pulled it out from underneath the cart. It was a black boot with a silver buckle on it. It looked like you classic medieval shoe from an old storybook. There was something sticky under it though. I turned the shoe around and gasped at the sight of blood on my hand. Bright red sticky blood had been smeared on my hand because I hadn't realized that there had been blood on the boot.

Blood meant that someone was bleeding. Maybe the owner of the cart... my heart thudded loudly in my chest at the thought of some poor person injured and alone in this forest. So I called out, "Hello is anybody there?"

There was no reply.

"Hello anybody? I just want to help." I called out again louder this time.

I heard the shakey croak of a weak voice. "Over here... Please help."

The voice sounded so weak and hoarse. I immediately took off in a sprint at the direction of the voice. It did not take me very long to find a poor man leaning his back against a tree trunk, while the rest of his body was sprawled out on the ground. My breath hitched at the sight of him. His face was an unhealthy pale colour. His eyes were exhausted and looked so hopeless. Worst of all we're his legs. I saw a huge bloodstain of one of his cotton pant legs. The blood had been thoroughly soaked into the straw-coloured pants. That same leg that was missing a shoe was bent at an unnatural angle. It was definitely broken.