Chapter 43 Cheesy Lines and Perfect Words

Chapter 43 ~ Cheesy Lines and Perfect Words

Autumn in Dylan’s POV

I woke up early even if I was not able to sleep well last night. I slept in Cate’s room where her familiar scent is everywhere. It did not work. Her steady breathing on my neck and her arm and leg carelessly slung over me are key things for a peaceful sleep for me. I didn’t have those last night. I know I will not see her sleeping form beside me but I still checked. My heart sank when I saw that her usual space is empty. Yeah, reality bites.

I debated whether I should call her now or a little later. I called her last night to check if she has landed safely. She was met by Kendall and Ian at the airport. Kendall went back to the dorms where she has moved in. Cate and Ian stayed at a hotel and they will drive to Stanford today so she can move in.

I hope my baby gets a roommate like Kendall. Someone who is cheerful and someone she can get along with. I want her to enjoy her life in college. She would clam up if she does not like the person she will live with.

I wish I have a class earlier today just to take my mind off her. She tells me that I worry a lot. How can I not worry about her? I love her so much. I want all things good for her. “Eat.” Jessie prodded and pushed the plate of food in front of me.

I have been toying with the bacon for a few minutes now. I picked it up and popped it in my mouth. I shoved a forkful of pancakes after it and washed it down with orange juice. I smiled at her. Hopefully, she is happy with that. She went away sighing and shaking her head. Nope, she isn’t happy. Women are so hard to please.

I am so miserable without Cate. My phone started ringing and I immediately picked up. “Hey, Cranky. Are you sleeping?” My girl chirped and my heartbeat sped up.

“No, babe. I am jet skiing.” She giggled. I closed my eyes and savored that sound. I want to wrap my arms around her and shower her with kisses. “Are you with Ian?”

“Yup and Kendall, too. I have my stuff and will start to move in. I am going to buy a large computer monitor later…” She blabbered. I miss her voice already and she has only been away for a night.

“Why do you need a large computer monitor?” I quizzed. I already gave her an iPad before she left.

“The better for me to see you, my dear…” She growled and laughed. “Oh, we are here…that was fast…I will call you later, Cranky.” She said hurriedly. She loves the story of Little Red Riding Hood.

When I first learned how to read, she kept on bugging me to read it to her. I always obliged because it made her laugh whenever I try to imitate the way the big, bad wolf growls through the words.

“OK, big bad wolf. I love you. Be safe.” I am now thinking if I should hop on the next flight to California just to see her. I miss her so much.

“Je t’aime. Talk to you soon.” She cooed and then hung up. I cannot wait to hear her voice again.

Crinkles tugged at my jeans. “Hey, little guy.” I picked him up. “Your mama is away. I’ll take care of you while she is not here.” Cate wanted to take him but they don’t allow pets at the residence halls. I stroked his fur and he whimpered. The little dog must be missing his owner like I do. The owner of my heart is miles away.

 ~*~

Cate called in the early afternoon. Her voice is hoarse so I knew she was crying. Ian sent me a message to check up on her. He already drove back to L.A. and Cate is now living alone in her dorm. I longed to be with her and comfort her but it is not possible at this time. I got out of class just to take her call.