Chapter 8 The Lake House

Chapter 8 ~ The Lake House

I got up early so I can jog before Seth and I hit the lake.  I came bursting into the kitchen to grab a drink. Jessie and Seth were busy fussing over a large picnic basket.

“Good morning, Cate!” Jessie greeted me. She saw me first. “Seth here said you agreed to go on a date with him.” She is looking at me for confirmation, one eyebrow raised.

Seth was chuckling but did not say anything. He slid in more food containers into the basket.

“It is not a date, Jess.” I said seriously. “Based on the amount of food Seth is hoarding, we will probably relocate and live at the lake house for a few years.”

“I know. I probably need to go grocery shopping again.” Jessie chuckled, going back to check what Seth has in the basket.

“It is a date.” Seth insisted, rolling his eyes. “You said so yourself last night, you wanted to take me out.”

“I meant take you out, out.” I said, motioning slitting the throat. “I hope you managed to write your will last night. I will be honored to inherit your car.” I smirked.

“Didn’t I tell you last night, I will spare your life?” He asked grabbing the basket and preparing to go.

I shrugged. “You might be bluffing so that I would be complacent. Wait, I just need to change and grab my bag.” I hurried upstairs. I had prepared my bathing suit, extra shirt, shorts and towel last night.

~*~

The lake house is about a half hour drive from the villa. A short walk ahead from the lake house is the secluded Gibson Beach with its rolling dunes and soft, pristine sand. Derek, Dylan, Ian and me would always go to this beach during the summers. We like this beach because there are no noisy frat boys and party girls around.

Seth and I laid out our hoard from Jessie’s kitchen on the table by the porch.  I was not able to eat breakfast because Seth was in such hurry to drag me here. I chewed on a grilled chicken sandwich while unloading all the food from the basket. Seth got the beach blankets inside the house. All provisions are available at the lake house. Jessie hired someone to keep it clean the rest of the year so that whoever wants to come here will be comfortable.

“Looks like you really know your way around here.” I said, settling on the blanket we set on the floor. I looked up at Seth, who was taking off his shirt. “And looks like, you realllyyy like being half naked.” I added, looking away.

“What’s with you getting so affected on seeing someone naked? Or is it just me that has this effect on you?” Seth asked teasingly, bumping his shoulder to my shoulder as he settled on the space beside me.

I rolled my eyes. “I’m not affected.”

“Yes, you are.” He smirked. His hazel eyes gazed into mine. He opened his mouth to say something but decided against it. He sighed.

“I know my way around here because I have been here every summer. Waiting…” He said quietly.

“Waiting? For who?” I asked. My brows furrowed.

“You.” He said simply. I looked up and met his gaze.

“Why?” I asked, still curious.

“Summer was never the same without you.” He said. “Sure, we only met one summer. That was the first and last summer we spent together but it was really memorable. It was fun.” He said smiling but his eyes were sad. “Let’s go for a swim.” He got up and held out his hand to help me up.