Chapter 38 On A Night Like This

Chapter 38 ~ On A Night Like This

*POV Change somewhere…

Dylan’s POV

We passed by the lounge toward the patio. Cate is clinging onto my arm and is looking so excited. I could hear laughter and smell barbequed meat. I thought I heard Lily’s laughter. Why would she be here? I glanced incredulously at Cate. Did she fly everyone here in L.A.? She gave me a cheeky grin.

“Ah, there he is.” My Dad is manning the grill. Liam is already chowing down a sausage. Seth settled down on a lounge chair, beer in hand. Dad walked over to me to give me a hug. I happened to be transfixed by the patio door. How did I not find out about Cate’s plans? Oh, maybe because I am just excited to be with her that I didn’t care where we go or who we will be with. “Happy birthday, son.” Dad is grinning widely at me. “Twenty one. Wow.” He handed me a bottle of beer. He looks so proud and happy.

“Happy birthday, honey.” Lily chirped and gave me a hug, too. Yeah, she is the best stepmother you could ever ask for. She does not impose or do anything to embarrass me and Derek. She raised us well, treated us like we were her own. To top it all, she came into my life bringing her niece with her, Cate, the love of my life. I opened my mouth but no sound came out. I am just so surprised. They all laughed at me. “Gotcha!”

“Wow…this is really a surprise!” I could not find the right words. I did not think Cate would go into so much trouble to arrange this intimate party. This is how I want it; just family and friends coming together for my birthday. “I thought you will be in London.”

“Oh, we just said that. We are really supposed to be here. Your Dad will be given an award at Stanford on Sunday night. We came early to celebrate your birthday.” Lily smiled. Stanford. I kind of hate that word at this time. It is the one word that could take Cate away from me.

“Thanks for being here.” I grinned and finally stepped into the patio. “Let’s eat because I am starving again.” Cate handed me a plate of mashed potatoes and grilled sausages. “Have you eaten?” She might forget to eat because she is entertaining everyone. She nodded, smiling. She is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I just can’t believe my luck. I touched her cheek and planted a kiss on her forehead. I wanted to kiss her on the lips but I noticed Grams is observing us. “Thanks, babe.”

She smiled and her eyes twinkled. “I am glad you like it. Happy birthday again, babe.” She tiptoed and hugged me tight. We settled on a lounge chair.

Everyone feasted on steaks, sausages and finger foods which were prepared by Grams and Cate while I was away with the boys. Derek ordered pizza. Cate also prepared some seafood pasta.

The food is amazing. My birthday cake was specially baked by Cate herself. She can really bake. We finished the chocolate cake in no time. Liam and Seth are already in love with Cate. Well, I knew they were crushing on her even before. It sucks for them though because I am the lucky bastard who met her first. I draped my arm on Cate’s shoulder and she put her head on my shoulder. She fits in there just right.

The evening breeze is cool and inviting. It is a lovely night. The sky is filled with twinkling little stars. Everyone I care about is here. We listened to Liam and Seth sing and strum their guitars. A party will never be dull with those two around. The evening is filled with laughter and love.

I looked at my Dad and Lily and wished that Cate and I could be like them. They have been together for years and they are still very much in love. I glanced at Cate and caught her looking at me too. I winked at her which made her giggle. My birthday wish is to be with her forever.