Eventually, I decide to go with the 'Caramel Balsamic' something while Atty chooses the 'Pumpkin Gelato'.

"Tonight is really about adventure, huh?" he mumbles, shaking his head in doubt as the man prepares his order. Of everything that has happened today, it's funny that this is what he considers the wildest. Though since I hadn't heard the word balsamic in an ice cream context until now, maybe he's right.

"Pumpkin's usually not so bad, you'll be fine," I say, distracted by the way he's lightly rocking on his feet.

"It's not the pumpkin I'm doubting," he grumbles. It really shouldn't surprise me that Atty's problem is with gelato and not pumpkin.

Atty doesn't get much time to wallow in doubt since our orders are prepared pretty fast. We've carried our respective desserts to a booth near the back within minutes. The neon pink upholstery is stretched and new, so the seat is surprisingly firm. I bounce a little, enjoying the tautness.

The walls of the restaurant are tiled, the way a backsplash is in the kitchen, but here the small squares carry all the way up- to the ceiling. I clack my newly manicured nails against the ceramic, blown away by how the sound carries.

I could've entertained myself with the acoustics in this place all night, but Atty decides to put on a show, apparently. He sighs and shrugs off his suit jacket, the matching vest following shortly after. Both garments are neatly folded and placed on the off-white table between us.

I enjoy the way Atty's muscles shift under the white fabric as he uncuffs his sleeves and rolls them up to his forearm. Soon the tie is gone as well and his top two buttons are undone. Then he picks up his spoon and digs in.

"Aw that's it? You can't just stop there," I tease, offering a sly smile.

"You gotta pay for the rest, babe."

I would've kept this line of conversation going, probably not entirely appropriately, but his words are promptly followed by another sigh and a hand through his gelled hair, bringing it all tumbling down.

It reminds me.

I should segue into what I truly want to tell him, but Atty's doesn't like beating around the bush so I'll jump right in. "I'm sorry I forced you to go."

There, I said it.

Atty bursts out laughing, so much so that he has to put his spoon down. "What? Don't be, I had fun." He even nonchalantly waves his hand as if to say 'no big deal'.

"But you look exhausted."

"I am, but I had a good time."

This is interesting news. I leap at the opportunity and ask, "Are you going next year?"

"Depends."

He's playing coy, he wants me to ask what. Unfortunately, I'm too curious to resist. "On?"

Atty leans back and balances the spoon between his index and middle finger. "Your plans."

"How charming, Atticus. If you wanted-" I don't finish flirting, the buzzing of my phone distracts me instantly.

I wish I had kept my phone in my hand, not on the table beside his coat. The screen is lit up with an incoming call, Will's profile flashing across the screen. I immediately decline, but I know Atty saw.

Which means he'll asks that dreaded question.

"Everything okay?"

And there it is. I sigh and rub the back of my neck. My gaze roams the walls, the floor, outside the windows, anywhere. Anywhere but Atty. After the way he opened up to me about his accident and his parents, I have a feeling I won't be able to keep my secret if I look into those dangerous green eyes.