[3] Rusty and The Spoon

The open bay windows cast a waterfall of sunlight on Collette, who's curled comfortably on the cushions beneath them. She looks radiant, youthful even. I hope my mom still has this energy, but judging from the cracks in her voice last night, I think my actions may have dampened it somewhat.

I try to keep out all thoughts of mom and home but they come anyways. After all, I did just call her a few hours ago. For the first few minutes she couldn't stop crying. Even now I feel my jaw tense as I recall her tiny hiccups of sorrow. I had to reassure her again and again that I'm fine and that I will come back. I had to get her to promise me that dad wouldn't pull up to the driveway tomorrow and drag me home.

'He just wants you to be happy. He hasn't eaten or slept since you left.'

I believe it, just can't imagine it.

Collette eventually looks up from the book in her hands and spots me standing at the base of the stairs. She smiles wide, the sleeves of her beige cardigan dancing around as she lifts herself off the couch.

"Good morning Jade!"

I nod, trying to muster up enough energy to smile back. "G'morning."

As if sensing my discomfort, she pats a seat at the dinner table and gestures for me to eat. The table is set with a variety of breakfast foods, ranging from pancakes and waffles to eggs and cheese. And milk, lots of milk. My mouth begins watering as I count all of my options.

"You should have woken me, I would love to help," I say as I begin filling my plate.

"Don't worry about it." She waves her hand, grinning. "It's Saturday and I had time."

It's only when I hear a spoon drop that I notice someone seated diagonal to me as well, a few spots beside Collette.

The source of the noise is Atty, who just dropped his utensil. Man, he looks completely out of it. His hair is standing up in all directions and his shirt is drooping to one side, allowing his shoulder to peek through slightly. And those dark circles, oh boy.

With all the energy and spunk of a zombie, he bends down and picks up his spoon- and proceeds to try to continue using it for his egg. Without missing a beat Collette replaces the one in his hand with a new piece. He continues with his task as if nothing happened.

What in the hell? And seeing Atty reminds me, where's Jay?

Collette chuckles, tucking a loose blonde strand behind her ear. "He's not a morning person- at all." She pauses and adds, "watch this."

Quietly, she pours orange juice in a ceramic mug and slides it near Atty's plate. He brings it to his lips, takes a few sips, then starts gulping it down.

As if she's planning a huge conspiracy, she whispers to me, "it has to be in a mug, and it has to be cold. Wait a few seconds."

I do. And honestly, I swear I can almost hear gears kicking into motion and the gentle whirr of a generator as it looks like someone finally turned on the light in there. Atty blinks for a moment then trains his gaze on me.

"Good morning," he mumbles.

"Looks like you finally decided to clock in today."

He only grunts in response. Then he asks, "how are you?"

I was ready for sarcasm, not a heart to heart. I'm never quite ready for those to be honest. "Filthy."

"Then take a shower." There's no irritation or malice in his tone, just a matter of fact. And I mean yeah, I should probably take a shower.