Rather, Ten Times, Die in the Surf

Start from the beginning

His nod must not have convinced her, as she cocked her head and gazed at him from head to toe and back again. Jo could only imagine what a sorry sight she had to look at. He felt like warmed up death, and looked about as nice as a drowned possum. He dipped his head in embarrassment and turned to leave again.

"Look," she called after him. 

He turned again and swallowed a wave of nausea.

"I'm not a doctor, but I could take a look at him. If you want."

Jo's surprise must have registered on his face since she felt the need to add:

"It's raining and you don't want to wait too long with fevers..."

She turned and he couldn't catch the rest of her words. As she walked back to the clinic doors, he wondered if he was supposed to follow. After unlocking the door she motioned for him to join her.

Once inside, she led them to an exam room and shed her coat revealing mint green scrubs several shades lighter than her eyes. Jo didn't dare look at those eyes again and instead stood by awkwardly, not knowing if he should be doing something or waiting for further instruction. The woman didn't seem to notice as she moved about the room, grabbing items and turning on switches.

"How old is he?"

"About 8 weeks. A little more, maybe."

"You don't know for sure?"

Jo hesitated. "Not for sure."

"Where's mom?"

Jo usually hated that question, but now he had an actual answer. "Argentina by now, I'd guess."

She turned to look at him then, eyebrows raised, but said nothing. Approaching, she removed the mewing child from his arms and laid him on the exam table. Jo watched as she checked him over with skilled hands. He tried desperately to stifle the coughs that scrambled up his throat, but several escaped and each time, those green eyes turned to him with concern.

"Again, I'm not a doctor, but- what's his name?"

"Um, Johnny- John. Either."

"Well, Johnny sounds like he has a bad chest cold. Could be influenza. I'm going to swab his nose for a respiratory panel and that'll tell me more. In the meantime, we'll put in an IV and get some fluids started. Sound good?"

She didn't seem to need a response as she began to move with practiced ease, carrying out the plan he hadn't really understood. He stood back, watching her work, wanting to do something, anything, to help, but realizing he was well out of his league here.

"Does he have a pacifier he likes?"

"He's never taken a pacifier." Not that Jo had one, but he'd tried to use the nipple of a bottle once and Johnny had screeched at him with betrayal.

"I'm going to have to put the IV in a vein on his scalp. Do you want to hold his hand?"

Jo took the baby's fist between his fingers and rubbed his thumb along the skin. When he glanced up, he noticed the woman watching him. Turning away quickly, she prepped her supplies for the IV, easily placing it into the tiny vein on the first try. Jo was more impressed than Johnny, whose whimpers turned into shrill screams. After she secured the catheter and began the fluids, Jo scooped the baby up and jostled him gently, whispering comforting words into his ear.