CHAPTER SEVENTEEN| The Figures In Black

"Pacy?... Pacy?" 

     It was a soft, fearful whisper that came from the black bag, hidden in the corner.

     It sounded constrained in uncomfortableness- he could breathe, though. She'd just left a very small space in the zipper.

     "Pacy...?"

      But she couldn't hear him. She wasn't very very close to him. She was hidden somewhere else... somewhere she could only narrow her eye to see through the orifice in between the doors- the wardrobe doors. It stood just next to the door, against the wall.

     This was, of course, a very risky place to hide. Unlucky, she could be caught by them. But that's why she had a pistol in hand. She hadn't even tested it yet, but she trusted it could work.

     And there was no telling of how powerful they were. They had even outwitted the government- caused it to nearly yield. Made it withdraw from the case...

     She heard the van's doors get closed.

     She closed her eyes.

     Now thinking about it- had she ever really fired a bullet all her life?

    Slowly, footsteps followed- getting louder, and louder with time until they stopped.

     She knew they were at the front door...

     Holding her breath, she hoped for the best even though she knew that the worst was yet to come.

     She pushed herself against the back of the wardrobe, trying to suppress her fear.

     The figures came in through the walls.

     The walked in as though the wall was some kind of portal. They stepped into it and came out of it on the other side.

      Freakishly.

     But no one was there to see it.

     They were now standing in the living room- standing still, like monsters straight off a horror film. They were smelling for anyone or anything... All silent...

      Through the narrow opening of the wardrobe, Pacy could see the long shadows slowly walk towards the room. And she could hear them too. Their shoes were as loud as heck.

     She'd opened the bedroom door to, maybe, relieve suspicion- to make them believe that they had left.

     Pacy, however, was beginning to have her regrets.

     Why did she listen to him?

     "Stay here, and take care of him."

    WHY?!

+ + + + +*

Now hopefully, just hopefully, they'd fall for it. Hopefully, they'd not been crazily modified. Hopefully, the two of them wouldn't get caught.

     And as they parted silently, each looked for the children on their own. Pacy was struggling further to keep calm and hold her breath.

     One in the living room, another in the kitchen and the third approaching the room...

     Pacy wasn't completely certain how many of them were. And she hoped that none of them would go through the wall and into the wardrobe to find her there; she wasn't even sure whether they could or couldn't die.

     Again, she hoped that her little brother wouldn't do anything silly.

     She was quiet, of course, realizing that if she might try to ignore the sound of their movement, then she might have a little more relaxation.

     A figure came into the room through the front door and stopped as it looked around. It was black. Too black, actually. Had it been burned up by something?

      And it wore a black suit. And black sunglasses. And perhaps even a white shirt with a red tie on top of it.

     The figure turned to the wardrobe and Pacy panicked, closing her eyes.

     And as the figure slowly approached, Pacy freaked out and held her pistol tightly in her hand, ready to fire. If it was going to be her end, then, she wasn't going without a fight...

     The figure suddenly stopped while in front of the wardrobe.

     Pacy was eye-to-eye with the monster!

     Suddenly, there was a muffled cry and the monster turned.

     He started walking away from the wardrobe, still quietly as the bag shuffled. Pacy nearly lost it. What an idiot kid! She'd known he'd do something stupid!

     She opened the door and cocked her colt commander.

      The creature bent forward now, climbing on the bed to get the bag, which was mounted at the top by the ceiling on a rack.

     She cried angrily and without thinking, pulled the trigger and blasted the air with the frantic pull of her finger...

     Recoil threw her hands back but she went on firing; firing until her handgun would be empty, firing blindly.

     But, the creature didn't die.

     It didn't flinch.

     It just turned to the sixteen-year-old, as though it had felt nothing.

    Then, stepping back, she panicked and, upon panicking, she tried to run... To break through the front door and run away as fast as she could, but her momentum dissipated when another monster appeared before her.

      And as she walked back slowly, she uttered unsoundly, "Please. Please."

     At that time, James was slowly unzipping the bag before he poked his head out.

     When he saw his sister beg, tears all formed up in her eyes, he yelled, "Leave my sister alone! Leave her alone! She's crying; can't you see that? She doesn't want you! She hates-"

      The third creature raised a gun and took a step back.

      "No," Pacy started. "No, no. No. Don't- don't do it! Don't-"

     Bang!

      And the youthful, innocent child fell into the bag, a hole inside of his forehead.

     And as Pacy turned, tears were already dashed in her eyes. Her heart was crushed, and she turned to scream in shock. "James!"

       But even before she could take a step, she was unconscious...