CHAPTER FIFTEEN| The plan

Before the old man had been killed, a week or so before that, the plan was being created.

     The five were huddled together in that room, planning their escape.

      Well, maybe four, because still, Job didn't want to be a part of this. He had other plans for his future. He was afraid for his fiancee's life.

     "I told you I have a workmate that is being hidden somewhere from me, already!" he said desperately.

     "Well," Rye said, blowing off a strand of hair off her face, "he doesn't look like he's lying,"

     "Well, you have to respect our decisions as well, Job," Bones said. "We cannot just help you survive-"

      "Bones-?" Pete asked. "Will you give him a break?"

     "If any of you dies, it will be all on me," Bones snapped, angrily.

     "We all know what he's capable of, and we don't want him to go either," Rose said. "He can't go anywhere. They're outside. Pier and the rest- they're all outside."

     "Pier?" Job asked.

     "He's Shaw's uncle," Rose said. "The guy that runs the place."

     "And Shaw is the guy that pulled me from the cell- just as I did with you. The only difference is that he did so to make me a warden and a murderer. I was hated by everyone back then. All thought I was responsible for their friends' deaths."

     "But he wasn't," Rose said, smiling.

      "Look," Bones said. "I only need you to brace yourself for a little while. And I kind'da think there's a way to- Pete, aren't we going to come near the idol at the end of the escape?"

     "Yeah, yeah, by the way!" Pete said, snapping. "Yes."

      "Yeah, that douche is our map. He hacked the security cameras and he's going to lead us out," Bones said. And Rose raised an eyebrow.

     "Um... One more thing, please," Rose said, raising her hand. "After we use the vents and such- I think... um, when we part ways, be sure you'll run later."

     "Run?" Job asked.

     "Oh yeah," Bones said, "You'll-"

      "Bones," Rose insisted. "This is my time to talk..." And he broke away. She continued, "So, you're not going to believe what I'll tell you right now

     "Try me," he said.

      "Okay. Then, if you want to save her, you might want to brace yourself. Two things- the first being what I'll be telling you now, and the second being what will come to you at that time."

     Job shook his head a little and said. "I'm ready."

     "Okay, are you sure?"

     "Yeah, I'm sure."

    "And you have to believe me."

     "I... well, probably. We'll see."

      "No, you have to believe me."

     "I said we'll see."

     "No, I said-"

       "Rose, the rest of us are getting bored dead right now," Pete said. And Bones nodded. Rye didn't.

       "No, not until he says he has to believe me," she said.

      "I said- we'll see me believing it!"

     "Okay," Rye said. "Prepare yourself for the worst kind of truth you'll hear... If you want to save your fiancee, then, you'll have to... steal an idol."

     "Steal an idol? That's it?"

     "No, it's more than that-"

      "I'm an archeologist, for heaven's sake."

     "Will you just listen?" Rye asked politely. And Job gave a nod. "Nice, so after stealing the idol, you'll have to die like a hundred times in a running course- an endless one to add- as you're chased by an evil group of man-eating monkeys."

    "Evil, man-eating monkeys? Well, that's not too bad."

      "You'll have to die over and over again."

      "Hmmm," he said. "Kind of reminds me of the two movies- Groundhog day and... um, Edge of Tomorrow?"

      "This is not about movies," Rye said, maintaining eye-contact. "You're the one to suffer, and you're the one to die- many, many, many times. That's if... you'll go off to look for her."

     "And am I guaranteed to get to her?"

     "I don't really know. Some people I know went in there... and they never came back out. It was like... the game made them disappear after a few several runs."

    "They were trapped in the run?" Job asked. "And I don't suppose they're here now, are they?"

      "They're not."

     "And here you were defending his motives," Bones said with his arms folded. "Foolish."

     "Hey, don't start the argument again," Pete said.

     "Aren't you the peacekeeper?" Rose asked, quite charmed. At least, for once, she'd heard him want silence. "Well, back to business- so yeah, I think that's all that I have for you. Um... Rye- do you have anything else to-"

      "No, um... not really."

     "Pete? Barry?"

     They both shook their heads.

      "Well then," Rye said on. "I think that's it. That's all we have for you today."

     "It wasn't, particularly, very surprising-" Job said.

      "Oh, it's just that I've phrased it a little bit better," she said.

      "Would you two just stop talking like that?" Pete asked. And they both turned, gaping at him.

+ + + + +

"Well, I hope that door's-"

     "Oh, yeah, it's soundproof," Rye said. "They can't hear us."

     "That means we can make as much noise as we can- as long as it's in a sensible frequency," Pete said.

      "And that's why you beat me in Physics back in Highschool," Bones said.

      "I always beat you in Highschool," Pete said, laughing. "Physics, Computer-"

     "Alright, alright. We get it," Bones said. "Heavens!"

      "Okay, so our escape is going on well, isn't it Barry?"

     "It is," Barry Bones answered.

     "So we're going to escape after he nearly fully recovers. We just have to estimate the time it will take to get them through the door- that's all. Then to the vents!"

     And they clapped, thinking of freedom.

     Job didn't clap, though. But he was smiling- thinking of his foster children. But, what was this feeling drawing into his body now? Were they in... danger?