Cruise

"Over here guys! Smile!" I say, smiling myself at the happy looking family, the father tickling his daughter so she is laughing and the mother is laughing while holding a chubby baby on her hip, I snap the shot and thank them. The ship has barely left and already people want photos to be taken, what was I suppose to expect? Capitol Cruise isn't paying me to have a holiday. This is my other job, photography on this cruise ship when I'm not in the studio doing family or pet photography, I mean I can't complain, two weeks of being paid big bucks just to photography happy families? Who could say no?

I continue walking around, smiling at people enjoying themselves by the pool and others who do different activities set up around the ship. Prim would've loved this... I work and she could have a vacation for free on the most fancy cruise ship in Panem, I can't believe it's been nine years... nine years since the worst time of my life had happened... since that accident, the accident that killed both my sister and father, leaving only me to survive, the drunk driver, it was someone in a senior class in my high school, I couldn't look at them.

I continue photographing to distract myself from those pained memories. I approach the railing and look ahead as Panem gets smaller and smaller, further away from my old life, my boring single life. It's embarrassing to think about, I've only been in one relationship and that whole relationship we had sex exactly four times. He wasn't good at it, apparently because I didn't make any noise when we had sex was an excuse to break up with me, I wasn't heartbreaking about it because he honestly wasn't any good at it, his weird grunts were a turn off and that was in college, freshmen year, really puts things in perspective.

The ocean is so blue, I never realised until now, it's such a beautiful shade of blue, the shade that makes you actually want to swim in it, I smile when I think of the blue eyes that I haven't seen since high school graduation. Is it sad that I still think of my high school crush? I can't help myself... not only was he drop dead gorgeous but it didn't help that he was kind, caring and friendly, I would've talked to him more if it weren't for him being popular and hanging out with Cato Phillips, Glimmer Davis, Clove Ryan and Finnick Odair, Okay Finnick wasn't bad but the others were. Glimmer and Clove made my high school life a living hell, especially whenever Peeta talked to me, it was worse when him and Glimmer started dating which I didn't understand.

Now that was an interesting part of senior year, when the most talented guy in the wrestling team started dating the head cheerleader. Typical stereotypical couple, only difference was that Peeta Mellark was no dickwad, he was the complete opposite which is why I didn't understand why on earth he'd date Glimmer. As expected, they lasted until the end of the Christmas break, could you believe it? Glimmer had a three way with Clove and Cato, who would've known? It was amusing to see Glimmer and Clove avoiding Peeta and Finnick completely, the going away party was by far my favourite day of my teenage life... at the party... kissing Peeta, best night but of course luck would have it that I didn't have his number and I could only afford a BlackBerry Curve 8300, even though it was 2013 and new models were out, I could only afford that one phone, I only just got the latest iPhone last year.

I haven't seen Peeta after that since then and I always thought it'd be awkward to add him on my social media accounts, just be like "hi! It's me! Girl you kissed and don't remember!" I'd rather not embarrass myself more than I already have these coming years. My best friend Gale told me to go for it, he went for it with Darius and they're happy, my other best friend Johanna being her usual self just suggested I bang him and that'll be it which of cause caused both Gale and I to look at her disapprovingly, I know she means well but... I'm not into banging and leaving, not with Peeta Mellark.

+++

"You happy I got you this job, Brainless?" Johanna smirks sitting across from me at the table I'm eating my dinner at, Johanna signed herself to be a cabin crew member which means she'll be here for the next six months, the cruises photographer landed sick at the last minute which is pretty much what landed me this job