The Letter

Based in the 1940's

I clench the letter to my chest, my Peeta who was in the war, his funeral just last week leaving me with our four children a boy and three girls, he was a good father and a good husband, he wrote personal letters to his children and me but the letter I clench to my chest is the last letter he ever wrote to me before he was shot, my son Joseph who's the eldest took it quite well for a fourteen year old, I mean he has little sisters all depend on him now but my father halves his money and gives us enough to survive on, just till Joseph will be able old enough to provide for his sisters and mother. It's been the hardest on Sarah, our eleven year old, she adored Peeta and she hasn't stopped crying till this day, Molly, our twelve year old helps me around after school and helps me cope with the loss of my other half and Willow, the youngest, our seven year old, she cried a river, she may be young but has a very good memory and she was always getting spoilt by Peeta, the time he came home once, he taught her how to ride her first bike and it was a memory she'll remember forever.

I look at the note, Peeta's beautiful hand writing at the front which causes a little pain in my heart and so I wait no longer and open it,

My Dearest Katniss,

Hey baby, sorry I haven't written in a while but our schedule  has been very tight and I haven't been able to have  the chance to write to you but I do now. How are the kids? Are they behaving like I said? I can always come home and tell them off, I know what you're thinking, 'we need the money for our family'
and I know baby, that's why I'm doing this, for our children and for you, now
I know that this is a dangerous job but I know this is for me now there's always a chance that I could pass but please whatever you do, please be with our children if I die, don't shut them out live each day like I'm there cause I'll be watching over you and I want you to know this, I love you Katniss Mellark, I love you so much that words can't express it, I've loved you since I saw you across the school yard when we were only five, I love you and you will always be my one and only and I hope you're the same with me, give the kids big hugs and kisses for me

Sincerely, Peeta

By the end of the letter my tears have fallen and finally since the funeral, I cry, I scream, I grief over the person I've loved since I could ever remember but that person is gone now but has left me with amazing children who remind me of him each day and I love my husband and I love our children, I will be there for them and I'll love them.