Chapter 66: To the Battlefield We Go

Start from the beginning

"Ah," Joo-doh spoke up, "that's correct, Lady Midori. But, that's not all," I looked over, intrigued by the notion that there was something else up, "the pits don't exist either. Just making the enemy believe that they are there is enough for this battle."

"Oh?" Geun-tae looked over towards the main battlefield, "This fight's been decided."

 I follow the Earth Tribe General's line of sight, seeing retreating soldiers, "Seems like it, General. It appears that the Sen Province's army is retreating."

"The battle had already been decided," Joo-doh spoke, his calmness cutting like a knife, "from the point that we set up our encampment."

There was a small smile on General Geun-tae's face, "Hm . . . What a frightening person."

"So it would seem," I said with a sigh. There was still yelling on the battlefield, so I looked out, "It would also seem, Generals, that apparently, some leaders are smarter than others."

We watch as General Soo-jin - if we should even call him that - commands his army to keep attacking the combined forces of the Earth and Sky Tribe, only this time, there was no one to come to his aid. No reinforcements would be coming for Soo-jin.

~~~~~~

Both generals and I had managed to make our way over to the King within the lull of the fight.

"Midori," I glance up to see a smile playing on Soo-won's face, "I see that you managed to meet up with General Geun-tae."

I sigh, returning his smile with one of my own, though albeit hesitantly, "Majesty." I glance at his attire, "I guess you assumed that none of the opposition would get anywhere close to you?" He flinched slightly, and a my smile morphed to one of teasing, "That's a little conceited, don't you think, Soo-won?"

"HA!" Joo-doh was quick to jump on the opportunity I provided, "Even Lady Midori is wearing armor, AND thinks you should be wearing some sort of armor."

I chuckled softly as the King began to sheepishly laugh at the general's antics.

One of the higher ranked Sky Tribe soldiers approached us and spoke, "Your majesty, it appears that there hasn't been any movement in the Fire Tribe's main forces."

Suddenly serious again, Soo-won spoke clearly, "I don't believe that someone like Soo-jin would retreat so easily . . . "

I sighed, before speaking up, looking towards the main forces of the Fire Tribe, "Joo-doh said something about you creating a number of illusions." I could feel the gazes of everyone near us on me as I continued, "I assume the real reason that the Fire Tribe was so quick to be defeated was because you attacked their morale."

"I find it miraculous that you manage to understand my thought process through this, though you had no part in planning the response to Sen and Soo-jin, Midori-chan." The King continued, "But you are right. It's almost time . . . their troops should be at their limits."

~~~~~~

"Your Majesty, Soo-won!"

We turn to see a soldier that was set in charge of telling us if there was any movement in the Fire tribe. He looked slightly confused, but there was something he had to report.

"What is it?" His majesty spoke kindly, "Is there any movement?"

"No, about that . . ." he glanced up to meet Soo-won's gaze, "In the main Fire Tribe army, an unknown group entered their camp," I straightened my shoulders in surprise. There was really only one group that I knew of that would get themselves involved in this kind of situation, "And are currently fighting."

Surprise covered the King's features, it appeared as though the really hadn't a clue as to who it could be - at least, not yet, "Unknown?"

"Yes . . . It appears as though they have amazing strength. Fire tribe soldiers are continuously being thrown around."

It was only a matter of seconds before Soo-won had started to gallop forward on his horse, "I'm going to check."

"Ah! Your majesty!" Joo-doh was quick to follow - I wouldn't be surprised if this happened often.

I turn to the soldier that gave the information, "Thank you. Please return to your post."

He nodded and turned away before I sighed in annoyance and motioned my own horse forward - to follow after that impulsive King.

It wasn't long before I caught up, as both the King and his general hadn't needed to get too far to see who was the cause of the commotion. I stop short of even with Soo-won and watch as he begins to come to the realization that it is his cousin in the center of this commotion.

The King stiffened up as he gazed upon his red-haired family.

Geun-tae was quick to join the three of us, overlooking the ruckus, and not too far behind, the army joined us as well.

I caught Hak's heart-aching gaze, though I wasn't sure if it was due to anything that I might have put in his letters. . . 

Hak's POV

As I set my gaze on my blue-haired sister, I became overwhelmed with sadness. She looks down sadly before quickly meeting my gaze again, and I am keenly aware of her mindset, as it was written out for anyone to read in the letter that I held at my waist.

'I understand that it is probably going to be hard too . . . that it'll be hard for you to accept. . . but . . . I need to figure out if what you've told me in the streets of Saika is true.

And I want you to know . . .

I will do absolutely ANYTHING to ensure that you, Yona, and the rest of the group are allowed to go free. If it means that I have to go through with something like a betrothal . . .

So be it.

Why? Well, isn't it obvious?

I still think of you all as my family. And you always will be, no matter what you say to or about me - no matter what you do to me. I hope and pray to Hiryuu that you find it in you to somehow forgive me, it's only a matter of time before I am going to be faced with some of the hardest decisions that I will ever have to make.

I hope that the future treats you well, and that perhaps, sometime in the future, we will meet again -  though time will only tell if we will be allies or not.

You may not believe me, and I will find a way to live with that possibility.

Love always, your sister,

Midori '

________________________________________________________________________________

Who needs to study for finals, right?

Anyway, Since I have neglected to update - BASICALLY all semester - I decided that since I wasn't studying anyway, that I would try to update.

I hope you like it,

~Ashley