Chapter 9: Progress

If I could I would sit there all day cuddling with Derek but I had to go to the final rounds of Atlanta next fest. I was really contemplating going because I knew Derek needed me. I decided to not go and started to text star

"Baby,who are you texting?"

"Star"

"And why are you texting star"

"I have Atlanta next fest finals but I'm not going . You're more important."

"Alex come here. I wanna have this baby. You and this baby are gonna make me the best version of myself. Now don't worry about me. I'll still be here when you get back but Atlanta Next Fest is a once in a lifetime opportunity"

"I came to Atlanta to persue my music. Not to get pregnant ".

We both laugh

"I knew you was gonna say that."

" a boy was not in the picture but here you are. We're gonna have a beautiful baby." He says we are and we kiss. My phone buzzes and it's Star and Simone telling me to come on it's showtime. Derek said "Go! Baby's gonna need new shoes so mama better get to singing."

It ain't about what you got it's all about what you do with it.

We perform at Atlanta next fest and win the final rounds! We made Carlotta our manager and went back to hers to celebrate.

I FaceTimed Derek to tell him we won and he was so happy for us. I told him I'd come to see him tomorrow morning.

3 days later
I went up to the hospital,walked in Derek's room ,and he was smiling . I knew there must've been some good news coming so I start smiling and ask him what he was so happy about.

"I'm being released from the hospital today"

Excitement instantly filled my body

"Oh my god! Are you joking??" He said "No I'm really being released from here!"

He got on his feet and walked to me. When he reached me he grabbed me and kissed me. Tears of joy began to run down my face.

"this pregnancy really has my emotions everywhere"

I started to laugh while I wiped the tears. He began to laugh

"I hope you know I'm gonna be here with you throughout this whole pregnancy. Through the ups and downs."

"are you trying to make my cry even harder" I said as I laughed again.

I asked him what time he's being released. He said 12:00 .

12:00 rolls around and I go back up to the hospital to help Derek pack his bags to go home. We were smiling and looking at each other the whole time while packing. After we finished packing we got ready to leave. It  was hospital procedure to roll him out in a wheelchair. I went to get the car and drove up to the door. I got out to help him in and asked him if he was ready to get back in the car. He nodded and I helped him out the wheelchair and we took one step at a time until we got to the car. I was so proud of him tears started to well up into my eyes again.

"this darn pregnancy is really playing with my emotions. "

We finally arrive home and went into the house. We went into the bedroom and laid down on the bed. We began to talk about the baby and how excited we were for it to come. My belly was already starting to poke out. He placed his hand on my stomach and said

" hey baby,I don't know if you're a boy or a girl but that doesn't matter! All that I care about is that you're healthy. I love you no matter what. And I love your mommy no matter what "

Tears start to roll down my face.

" You just love making me cry don't you? This is like the 5th time you've made me cry today"

Derek laughs and says "take that up with your son or daughter in there."

All of a sudden I get overwhelmed with a feeling on nausea . I run to the bathroom and my entire breakfast comes back up. I brush my teeth and go back to the room. I went back to the bedroom and Derek looked concerned and asked if I was okay. I told him I've been having morning sickness since I found out about the pregnancy. This was really nothing new. We go back to cuddling and end up falling asleep. I've missed this.