Chapter Thirteen

"I'm sorry Miss Thompson but we can't discharge you," the nurse said authoritatively.

"You don't understand! It's really important!" Sophie pleaded.

"In my opinion, young lady, the most important thing is your health," the nurse countered.

"Madam, there are lives at stake here and the only thing Sophie might suffer is a slight headache - now DISCHARGE HER!" Sherlock yelled impatiently.

"I'm sorry but -"

Before the nurse had even contemplated what was going on, Sophie had grabbed a bottle of wine Mrs Hudson had left for her as a get well present and smashed it over the nurse's head.

The nurse fell unconscious to the floor in a heap, soaked in alcohol and shards of glass.

Sophie ran back to her bed and grabbed her things, shoving them carelessly into her bag.

"Come on Sherlock, we're leaving," Sophie said, and the two ran out of the Hospital.

As soon as they had left the premises, Sherlock hailed a cab hysterically, waving his arms like a lunatic. "Taxi!"

A cab finally pulled up.

"Where to?" the balding taxi driver asked.

"1 Alfred Place please," Sophie answered.

They sat in silence as the cab navigated the sea of London traffic until Sophie couldn't bear it any longer.

"Who do you think this kidnapper might be?" she whispered nervously. "And what do you think they want with us?"

"This is going to make me sound like an idiot, but I haven't a clue," Sherlock said. "I honestly have no idea why this kidnapper would want to associate themselves with us in particular, except for the fact we aren't completely stupid like the rest of the population."

"And why on earth would they want to throw a rock at my-"

Suddenly, Sophie's phone rang. She rifled through her bag until she retrieved it. For Sherlock's convenience, she answered it on speakerphone.

"Hey, Auntie," she said.

Mrs Hudson's voice echoed around the back of the cab.

"Hello Sophie dear, how are you?"

"I'm fine - are you okay?" Sophie replied anxiously.

"Oh, don't worry about me dear, I was just phoning to tell you about that case you're interested in," Mrs Hudson said.

"What is it?" Sophie said urgently.

"There's been another one - ten minutes ago, it was on the radio, and these people just went missing at exactly the same time -"

"I'll call you back, Auntie," Sophie said, hanging up abruptly.

"How are they doing this?" she said to Sherlock, exasperated.

"This 'kidnapper' must have people working for them who do the actual kidnappings for them," Sherlock replied. "Like a sort of kidnapping, English mafia."

"Well whatever's going on, we're about to find out," Sophie said as the cab shuddered to a halt.

The pair looked out the dirty, grey window of the cab at a neglected looking house with a rusted metal 1 on the decrepit front door.

They had arrived at 1 Alfred Place.