Chapter Six

That was why at 4:15 Sherlock and Sophie were sat at the bar of the local fish and chip shop. To some, this wasn't really a dinner but the pair were intelligent enough to realise that it was, and plus, the tantalising smell of fried potatoes had welcomed them so politely that it had seemed rude to refuse.

"How's your fish and chips?" Sherlock asked.

"Perfect," Sophie replied, squirting a small portion of ketchup onto her plate.

"Well, in that case, am I forgiven?" Sherlock smiled.

"Mmmm... my head says no, but you have certainly persuaded my stomach," Sophie joked.

"Well, how does your head feel about solving a code?" Sherlock offered.

"You mean the Janice and Hector Norman case?" Sophie asked. "I have been trying to crack the code but I haven't really had the time. I should be revising now."

"Do you think you can solve it?"

"Naturally," she shrugged. "Solving puzzles is what I do. However, I have yet to solve the puzzle of time."

"I have time," Sherlock replied. "So what's your take on it?"

"Well, I've only glanced at it but it definitely isn't a standard Ceaser cipher, and the message is too short for frequency analysis or the index of coincidence to be reliable indicators as to the type of encryption. Perhaps there's a keyword to solving the code that only the recipient would know, and so it could just be a Vigenère cipher, but again, it's so short we would just be stabbing in the dark. We need to get another look at that picture - maybe I missed something."

Someone had left a newspaper on the table next to them, which Sherlock grabbed. When they saw the front page, the two of them froze.

SERIAL KIDNAPPER AT LARGE

Another kidnapping has taken place following the kidnap of 39-year-old Janice Norman and her baby son, Hector (pictured). Yet another note was left for the mysterious S&S (note also pictured).

The latest victim is 89-year-old Bradley Lasarus who was reported missing from a stately home in Chelsea at 4 am this morning.

At present, no one with information has stepped forward and the authorities are no closer to finding the missing persons.

But after seeing the picture of those missing, Sherlock and Sophie realised for the first time that they knew Janice and Hector Norman. They were the mother and child that nad been sat next to them on the bus the previous day.

But even more worrying was the note left by the kidnapper.

S&S - Solve it, or you're next.

Hurry up - time is ticking!

Save them. ;)