Chapter Five

To his delight, Sherlock had Chemistry third period.

When Sophie walked in, Sherlock found himself turning up the collar of his coat (he couldn't quite put his finger on why). She, on the other hand, didn't even look his way.

Half way through the lesson, Mr Kuznetsov announced in his far from subtle Russian accent that they needed to partner up for practical. Sherlock even didn't hesitate before walking over to Sophie. She still ignored him which was starting to annoy Sherlock.

When everyone else was paired up, Sophie put up her hand.

"Sorry, sir, I don't have a partner," she said innocently.

"Veil eet zeems to me zat Mr Holmes does not have a partner alzo," said Mr Kuznetsov, ignoring the way Sophie's jaw clenched in annoyance. "And Mr Holmes, ree-move your shacket please."

Sophie smirked as Sherlock crossed the classroom to deposit his coat under his stool.

"Now zee experiment vee are doing today eez about corrosion of metals..." Mr Kuznetsov started to explain, but Sherlock and Sophie didn't listen; they were too busy glaring at each other.

"Damn you, Sherlock Holmes," Sophie muttered. Even to Sherlock it was barely audible.

"You do know I'm not religious, right?" Sherlock said. "And you're not religious either."

"Oh shut up," hissed Sophie. "I don't want to talk to you."

When it was time for the experiment, Sophie made a big point about finding all the equipment as slowly as possible, checking boiling tubes for scratches and making sure the scraps of metal were a certain size.

Sherlock drummed his fingers on his desk impatiently.

"Meez Thompson, you need to get on wiv zee experiment if you please."

Sophie smiled sarcastically and slowly sloped off towards the desk.

"I'm guessing you're still annoyed at me then," Sherlock chortled.

"No sh*t, Sherlock," Sophie spat harshly, mocking an incredulous tone.

"That sounds like it could catch on," Sherlock said, smiling.

"Look, if you wanted to be Mr Friendly you should have done it yesterday when I tried to have a civil conversation with you," Sophie said, pouring way too much hydrochloric acid on a tiny scrap of magnesium, which immediately started to fizz violently.

"Well, Sophie, I am..." Sherlock trailed off. Was he really going to sink that low? Even if it meant he could finally have an alliance with someone who he could actually have a... friendship with?

"You're what?" Sophie questioned.

"S-sorry," Sherlock choked out, the word sounding unfamiliar in his own voice.

Sophie raised an eyebrow.

"Well, if you're really that sorry, when we up meet after school, you can buy me dinner," she trilled, turning away.

"Okay," reasoned Sherlock.

Sophie looked immediately taken aback.

"What?!?" she spluttered.

"Okay."

"But you were supposed to say no- guys never pay the bill-"

"Well, then, think more carefully before you speak, Sophie Marie Thompson because, like it or not, I am buying you dinner."