Chapter Eighteen

"Sophie!" Mrs Hudson and Sherlock cried in unison.

But then they stopped. Why had there been no gunshot?

Sophie stood exactly where she was, smiling at them. She took the gun from her head and pulled the trigger a few times, pointing it at random places around the room.

"It's fake," she said. "Duh."

Sherlock, for once, was baffled.

"What?" he said, astounded. "How could you tell?"

"You might notice some things, Sherlock," she replied. "But you can't know everything - especially if you've never had the experience. I'm guessing you've never seen a real gun before?"

"They're aren't many in seaside towns," he said moodily. "Anyway, how do you know?"

"Aunt Martha's brother is rather rich and into that kind of thing," she said simply. "We went to visit him and he gave me a few pointers. For starters, there is no way you could actually put a bullet into these bullet chambers. The trigger is too flimsy for the actual size of the gun - it can't be more than 3mm thick and it's made of a weak polymer. And - "

She threw the gun up in the air and caught it.

"- look how light it is. 100g max," Sophie finished. "I'll show you some time. But for now, let's focus on the more pressing issue..."

She turned to look at Charles, who didn't seem particularly fussed she had discovered his leverage.

"Looks like you've lost your ticket out of here," Sherlock said simply.

"I don't think so," muttered Charles.

Without warning, he swung a punch at Sophie who fell to the floor and ran for the exit; Mrs Hudson was still standing in the doorway.

"Charles, please," she whispered, close to tears.

He responded by pushing her to the ground and dashing up the stairs.

"Martha..." Sophie gasped, pulling herself up to run to her aunt's side, but Sherlock was already there.

"I'm fine," Mrs Hudson replied, wiping away the tears that were swimming thickly down her pale cheeks. "I just can't believe - you'd better chase after him!"

"He'll be gone by now," Sophie countered. "And you matter more than he does. Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes dear," Mrs Hudson answered. "Are you sure we should let him go?"

"We'll see him again," Sherlock stated simply. "Honestly though, how can you be a criminal mastermind and not have a real gun?"

Laughing, Sophie and Sherlock began to help Mrs Hudson up the stairs.