2 | The Antsy cat

Start from the beginning

"I miss her." Her dad got her outta her reverie. She never missed the pain laced in his voice. And now she had to watch the sad reality of his eyes getting moisty.

Please don't cry!

That was her thought. And only if thoughts had power of erupting out would he have heard. 

She sometimes wished he'll remarry, unlike other children that got jealous when their parents are about doing that, but that would be the last thing he would do. He'll forever concentrates on work and work only. His words not hers.

As if remembering something, she muttered, "No matter how I protest I must go right?"

He nodded. And that made her sigh in despair, for she viewed that actual face he puts on in weighty events and that made her give up. Right there she knew no matter how she dissents, nothing would change his mind, for summer in Africa it is!

And his reply that came, was as exact as she thought. "Yeah. Cause I'd already spoken to your uncle about it. In fact everything been arranged."

Well. Fine. Not that she didn't see it coming.

She couldn't even remember how her maternal family looked like, she only saw them during her mom's funeral. And after that, she talked to her uncle once on the phone, and that was about three years back, he told her they'll visit again but they never did.

"Okay I'll go. After all, they're mom's family. But I won't spend all my summer there."

He grinned then ushered her for a hug.

"Dad I've heard temperature might reach 136°F there. The highest I've ever been was 68°F. Survival might be hard, don't you think?"

"Complainer." He said releasing the hug.

"But I'm still your favourite daughter." She teased, winking at him.

"Only you I got. Remember?" Now it was his time to wink.

"Dad!" She pouted and he chuckled.

***

At lunch, in school cafeteria all Islam could do was playing around with her food. That made Selena wonder what's eaten up her friend.

"Is I'm-always-hungry-lioness on a diet?" Selena teased grabbing her tortilla chip.

"I'm not up for teases Lena! I just wish school will never end. Besides, a normal person will eat the way I do, which is exactly the reason I never and can't ever count you as one." Islam groaned.

"These days can't seem to figure you out. Weren't you last week all happy on how you can't wait for summer, and now this?" She looked at her friend amused.

"No. Well..." She stumbles on words.
"Had no idea my life would be this messed up at a time like this. Things decided to change, in span of secs, and now have to figure out how I'll survive a certain continent I've never been all my life. Dad said will solitary go there for summer." She finished.

Selena's eyes bulged out at her last statement. A continent Islam had never been to was surely Africa. There was a brief moment of silence before Selena finally spoke out. "Poor Islam. Will be there for you." She uttered putting on a puffy face.

"Yeah you'll totally be there for me from Europe." She replied sarcastically, considering the fact that Selena's family always spend vacation in Europe.

"No seriously I would have loved to come with you sweetie, but you know mom won't let me. I'm sorry. You know what? I pity poor Sam, now he's gonna miss you." She said referring to one of their mate that his soul decided to fall for Islam.