I Had the Time of My Life

Start from the beginning

"Does your dad know anything more about the couple that was found?" he asked me.

I shook my head. "No idea. He's being pretty tight lipped about the whole thing. I do know that he's really upset by it though. It's only the second murder case he's ever worked, so he's stressing a bit."

"What if it's a serial killer? That would be so fucking creepy!"

"You think?"

"Yeah, but how cool would it be if it was, and then your dad caught him! Dude, your dad would be famous!"

I rolled my eyes at his enthusiasm. "Yeah, I don't think it's a serial killer, Mike. Even if it was, I don't think catching him or her would make Charlie famous."

Mike was upset at my lack of enthusiasm regarding serial killers. Even though we were on friendly terms again, I was still a bit weary around him. Jessica was still being a bitch, but I couldn't have cared less. Though, I admit that it was nice to have Mike covering my back in gym class again.

Edward met me outside of the gym and we walked together to the cafeteria, my hand tucked securely in his. We were halfway to the cafeteria, when he stopped, tugging me around so I was facing him.

"Bella?"

"Yeah?"

"Uh . . . will you go to prom with me?"

I knew that prom was coming up in a few weeks, but I hadn't thought much of it. Edward looked a bit nervous, and kept running his hands through his hair. I couldn't figure out why he would be nervous though. It's not like we weren't dating.

"Of course I will."

"Oh, thank God," he said, with a hint of relief in his voice.

"Did you honestly think I'd say no?"

"Well, uh . . . I wasn't sure if you would say yes. I know that you aren't big on dances and prom is a pretty big deal."

I slid my arms around his neck and leaned up on my tiptoes to press a kiss to his lips. "Before you, I had no desire to go to a dance. And while dances aren't my favorite thing, there's nothing I'd love more than to attend prom with you."

His smile was radiant. His lips lowered against mine, his tongue licking the seam of my lips until they parted, and my tongue came out to play with his. The kiss was hot and passionate, and he let out a low moan. Reluctantly, our lips parted, our breathing heavy. I had no idea that agreeing to go to a dance with him would inspire that sort of reaction, but I was more than happy to receive it. We headed inside and found the occupants of our table discussing prom. Or more accurately, Alice discussing prom, not letting anyone else get a word in. Upon seeing us, Alice began bouncing in her seat.

"Uh oh. Who gave her sugar?" I asked, focusing my gaze on Jasper.

Jasper held up his hands and told me he was completely innocent. Alice stopped bouncing long enough to stick her tongue out at me and give me a glare.

"No one gave me any sugar. I'm just super excited! We have three weeks until prom! There's so much to do! We have to get dresses, tuxes, flowers, a limo, and coordinate everything! Plus, I've got to get the decorations for the dance."

"Oh, are you on the prom committee?" I asked her.

She gave me a look that implied that I was stupid. "Bella, I am the prom committee."

"So what's this year's theme?"

"Midnight sun."

"What the hell is that?" I asked.