Chapter 27: If only for one night

Lets get on with the story.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Blackness. That is all that he really knew, as his mind awoke again into consciousness.

Such weariness he had not yet known capable of existing, clouded his mind and coated his muscles and bones. Slowly, he opened his eyes, glazed over blues stared dully at the starry sky.

He sat at the base of a tree his entire body felt like a block of lead, his head throbbed with pain.

Everything just hurt, his heart, his body, even his very soul, tore away at him. Why did everything hurt so much? Why was it that the burdens were placed on his shoulders alone.

First, it was that of the Kyuubi, then...in a way it was the Akatsuki's persecution of him and finally it was to be the last living remnant of his world. A constant reminder in and of itself, that everyone he once loved was now dead.

A small, sad smile graced his features as his eyes clouded over with tears. Tsunade, Jiraiya, Kakashi, Iruka, Sakura...

He missed them, more than any would ever know.

Tsunade and her addictive gambling habits, Kakashi, his laid back attitude, always showing up late reading that stupid book, Jiraiya, getting his ass grinded into powder by the females he peeked on whenever he got caught. Shizune, her soft demeanor and kind disposition whenever he got injured. Iruka, ever the worried mother hen, constantly checking on him. Sakura, much like an older sister. Lee, the crazy cousin that everyone liked but no one wanted to be around for too long.

Kiba, the annoying bastard that constantly competed with him. Shino, the quiet guy that observed everyone in the room, the one you knew that despite the fact you didn't talk much, that he would back you up should shit hit the fan and you'd do the same for him.

Tenten, they had grown close a few months before...before the final battle. Mainly when her and Neji broke up, Lee had been out on a mission with Gai and she had no one to really turn to. He had walked into her weapons shop and found her sniffling. The rest as they say...is history.

Hinata, the girl that had loved him from the shadows.

Ino, the girl that was almost as loud as him.

Shikamaru, the lazy bastard that just pissed you off after spending too much time with him and hearing his constant mutters of 'Troublesome'

And Chouji the chubby, 'big boned' guy that always seemed to be the 'Jolliness' of the party.

Neji, the stoic kid that you had to beat some sense into every now and then.

He wanted to blame someone. A part of him wanted to blame the Kyuubi, blame her entirely for all of his suffering. First because of the hate and prejudice he suffered at the hands of the villagers and then, the attacks of the Akatsuki that destroyed his home and took the lives of those precious to him.

But...perhaps because of his nature, his upbringing, or because she had once been a part of him he could not bring himself to let the blame rest solely upon her. There was no doubt that she was partly to blame, but while Kyuubi may have attacked the village. She did not dictate the actions of the villagers.

From ignorance, from fear, or just because of simple human nature, they chose, they chose to hate him. They could have seen things differently, they could have had faith in their former Hokage. But they chose the easier path.

Then...the Akatsuki. Why was it that humans were so effective at killing eachother? You know...when a spider eats its own offspring, humans feel appalled and some say. "How could they? They're killing their own kind."

Don't humans do the same?

Akatsuki, in their greed, in their arrogance, or simply their lust for war and power chose to try to raise themselves above the heavens. To do what no mortal was meant to do. To control immortals.

Perhaps...even he himself was to blame. Perhaps he himself was selfish, in his desire to remain with his friends, he had placed them all in danger, never once thinking of the repercussions of his actions. He had simply smiled, with foolish, naïve hope that everything would simply work out.

It didn't.

And as a result. He had lost everything.

So the blame was everywhere, everyone was perhaps partially to blame.

But still...why had he survived? Why did he have to continue on with the weight of lost souls holding him, gripping him for all they were worth.

He took a shaky breath as tears, softly shining in the pale moonlight trailed down his cheeks.

He just...wanted to rest...he was tired...so tired.

As the darkness claimed him again, he could hear soft laughter, in his minds eye, he could see all of his friends, laughing, smiling as they did before, when things were still so simple.

It was a dream, he knew. But...perhaps...just for tonight, he could pretend again. Perhaps for one night...he could have peace again.

If only for one night.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Anyway, here's the update read and review, tell me what you think please.
~Chao~