Prologue

"You won't beat me, Yusei!" I giggle. "Because I play this: Magic Cylinder! That means your life points are null and void now!"

"How can I lose again?" Yusei complains.

"I bet I'll beat her!" Jack cuts in. "Try me, Nova!"

I defeat Jack with ease. Since I'm the humble one, I silently enjoy my smugness and watch Jack lose it. As he continues to have a cow, I remind myself of how predictable he is, and how he's mostly bark and not bite.

Growing up in the foster home, Yusei and I always stuck together: pulling Jack and Crow apart when they fought, helping each other in Duel Monsters, and always being there for each other. I've even got a scar on my face from when Jack scratched me as I pulled him off of Crow after one of their fights.

Of course, things couldn't stay that way.

The Enforcers have been dueling their way around Satellite, crushing anyone in their path. I joined for Yusei, and because Kalin thought of me as an asset to the team - no one would expect a girl to be a member of a duel gang. But I left with Crow and Jack once he started getting too power-hungry. It was a dangerous obsession, yet I still stood by, watching, hoping Yusei would be okay.

"Kalin, dude, you need to get a grip!" Yusei says. "Don't you see it? We might have beaten all the other gangs, but now, we're the guys everyone's afraid of!"

"Yusei, open your eyes!" Kalin replies, a crazed look on his face. "We could rule Satellite! We could rise up against the city! We could have it all!"

"No, Kalin. That's not what I'm about." He takes a breath. "Kalin, I can't do this. I can't stand by and watch while you throw your life away."

"How could you?" Kalin screams, his eyes narrowed into slits. "Traitor!"

But Yusei didn't hear him. He was already long gone.

"You shouldn't have stayed," I say when I'm sure we're alone.

"I had to, Nova," Yusei sighs. "I couldn't...my conscience wouldn't let me abandon him."

"Until you had to," I finish, wrapping him in a hug. "I find that admirable, you know. How loyal you are."

"I should've listened to you," he says.

"Now, what if we said that more often?" I ask jokingly. "Life would be a lot better, now wouldn't it?"

"This is Satellite. We don't really get a better life without giving something up."

About a week after that conversation, I catch Yusei sneaking out at night, a duel disk on his arm. Overtaken by curiosity, I follow close behind, but not too close. When I see where he was going, I want to cry. He'd gone with Jack and Crow to stop Kalin. I pull him aside after Kalin is taken away.

"Yus, I thought you weren't going to go back for him!" I say to him.

"I couldn't let him get taken away forever," he argues.

"But what if that was you sitting in that truck right now, going to the Facility? Huh? What then?" I wait a few seconds to see if he has an answer. "Fine. Forget it. I don't care."

"What...Supernova, where are you going? What do you mean 'forget it?'"

"I mean, screw this friendship," I clarify. "If you're going to risk everything for one person who was in his current predicament because of crappy choices he made, then you're not the guy I thought you were." 

A/N: The Yusei story was requested by my reader @CherylMander , and since I don't really have anything concrete, I wanted to start something that I could later go off of, and since I won't be around as much due to schoolwork, I wanted to give y'all something to leave you wanting more! I know. I'm bad. Let me know in the comments what kinds of things you want to see in this story, and as I fly by the seat of my pants, I will try to add them in!

-Kal

P.S. I paraphrased the conversations between Kalin and the Enforcers — I didn't feel like writing them out entirely. Sorry if I oversimplified them!