Chapter 16

I was jerked up from my deep slumber by his erotic spells.

'Up already!', he roared and I rubbed my eyes while stifling a yawn.

Tying my laces and a high ponytail, I was all set to burn the calories that I didn't know I had earned until he told me.

We rode down in the elevator with thick silence around us. I checked his wrist watch and it was a little after five in the morning.

Gosh!

I could've slept more.

He hadn't touched our fight that he had left before. Instead we got a bit more distant after that and I cursed myself for sleeping on that ungodly afternoon.

There were no more kisses or small hugs that I yearned with an aching heart. He would just walk away or shut me out everytime I got a bit closer to him.

But we still slept together, and that small intimacy bloomed hope in my chest.

After running for an hour, my limbs protested and I slumped over a nearby bench while he still ran like he had just started.

I sat there and looked up at blue sky. A blue that manifested the TV screen without any networks. Sun rose high up there, sucking our hydration like a pro.

He snapped his fingers at me from afar and gestured me to follow him. We rode up again tugged with a painful silence. After a quick shower I made an omelet for two and we had our breakfast with just the clutter of our forks as only article of voice around us.

He was gone while I enjoyed my summer break all alone by cleaning the condo and doing laundry.

Wrapping a towel around my frame, I unraveled my hair after a long soothing shower and noticed my collar bones getting a bit more prominent than usual in my reflection.

I instantly threw down the towel and noticed a very much flat abdomen that used to have a small bump. Am I losing weight?

Guess morning runs are doing wonders to my body...
Well that's cool!!
If only morning runs could bring us together than I would've done that with a huge smile that could light up this whole town but he seemed a more engrossed in his work rather than his wife.

After another mute dinner, I retired to the bedroom while he did the dishes.
Few minutes later, the bed dipped under his weight and he slumped upside down with an arm over my trunk.

I sighed and clutched his arm, feeling his breath across the crook of my neck.

Maybe we still had a chance to save this sinking marriage.

***********

I watched him running with his shirt tugged to his chest with the aid of sweat. His heavy bangs bounced with every step he took while his biceps rippled with his muscularity.

He came closer and slumped over the bench beside me heaving loudly while clutching his head.

I gaped at my man, all exhausted. He gave me a side glance and looked ahead of him at the empty compound. It stayed abandoned at this ungodly hour, getting invaded by us.

His breath evened out and we stood up to revise the same routine again.
Him ignoring me as if I don't exist while I danced around all alone in the empty condo.

'Its odd.', he mumbled not meeting my gaze.

I took a bite from his omelet and felt something shattering inside me.
It was coming again.
It was bloody sweet.
I had added sugar again instead of salt.
Bloody shit.

My heart hammered against my chest and I dared a look up at his face that seemed impassive.
He was silent.
A silence that promises a storm.

'I'll make you another one.', I hopped off of my stool but he stood up.

He sauntered sluggishly and disengaged the bolt.

I didn't dare to stop him. I could never.
Who would ever want to plunge in the lion's den?

The door click closed and I sank down back on the barstool.

************

Knowing the fact that he had gone with an empty stomach, I opted for Aloo paratha.

I had made three for him but he was done when he reached halfway over his first one.

I did the dishes while he sluggishly went upstairs with red eyes.
He seemed a bit off today. More than usual.

I prayed Isha and saw him over the crown of my fingers. He was fast asleep with one hand over his head while the other one lay beside him waiting for me.

I folded the mat and laid beside him but his arm was on fire. I scooted up to check for his temperature and he felt like a molten lava.

He stirred in his sleep and turned on his side.

Even the mattress beneath him was hot. He mumbled something incoherent in his sleep and slapped the bed.

I flew downstairs and came up with some cold stripes and water. Adjusting his head on my lap, I placed a stripe over his forehead and seethed.

'Fu**'
He cursed with a contorted face.

I kissed his hair and pressed his head a bit to sooth him. He slept soundly while I kept changing his stripes with him cursing all the time.

It was a little after four in the morning when he started mumbling about old things. His fever had escalated more and I didn't know what more I could do.

I strained my drawers hastily until I found some anti-pyretics.
Thrusting them in his babbling mouth, I sent a silent prayer for his health.

'I'll kill that fu**er if he touches my garnet.', he seethed and kicked something in his sleep.

I shushed him and tried to ease the lines of his forehead.

'Where is it?', he mumbled.

Gosh
Why couldn't this night stretch a bit faster?
It seemed as I was stuck here for ages.

'Where?', he roared and I clutched my heart.

I stifled my sob and cupped his face.

'Calm down.'

He shook his head with closed eyes and snuggled more into my lap.

'Where is my garnet?', he gritted clutching my waist a bit too harshly that I yelped.

'Please don't do that.', I said rubbing his steely arm.

'I'll get that garnet over my life.', he murmured and smiled.

I pressed another cold strip over his forehead and he jerked.

'Fu**! Where is my gun?', he muttered and my hands stopped amidst.

Gun?
Did he still own one?

An old memory flashed across my eyes where his fiery eyes met mine while he showed me his with his hand clasped over my mouth to muffle my voice.

'That garnet knows its master you fu**er.', he mumbled and punched the mattress.

Thanks God that punch didn't landed on me.
I kept changing the strips and he kept cursing until his breath evened out while taking down his temperature.

I prayed Fajr and checked for his fever again. It was gone. Just the way it came.
I sighed and laid on my side with a very much exhausted mind.

We really needed some rest.

Encourage me as a writer
Please don't forget to
VOTE
SHARE
COMMENT