21

I pick out a red apple from the bowl on the corner counter, taking a bite I learn it's quite crisp. Just how I like them. After two bites heavy footsteps fall into the kitchen. I turn to see my father.

He had dark bags under his eyes as though he has been up for hours, he walks slumped, practically falling asleep the second he takes a seat.  I take out a mug and fill it to the brim with coffee, sliding it over to my dad.

"Thanks," he says, rubbing his for finger and thumb over the bridge of his nose. " I did it, make sure Hadley gets to the school today for a do over test promptly at 4." He says then takes a deep breath.

I stare at him almost in disbelief at what he just said." Are you serious?" I say no loner caring about the crisp flavourful apple I took only a few seconds ago.

He nods his head in response.

"Thank you so much Dad. So much. " I say hugging him without even thinking about it, not abnormal thing for me but I wanted him to know how thankful I was.

"Your my son, I do everything I can to help you. I always will." He says taking a sip from his mug. "Now I suggest you go over to that girl of yours and let her know, prepare her.  If she messes this up there isn't going to be anything I can do."

I race up to my room, only tripping slightly once. I grab my phone, thinking of texting her first but when I try to click it on an empty battery logo shows up, out of juice. I can throw it onto my bed, it's rendered useless at this time anyways. I grab the keys to my car.

I'm in such a rush I fumble my keys dropping them to the ground. It's like I can't get into my car fast enough. I finally get it and reave the engine.

               *                 *               *

I wait impatiently outside Hadley's door, I saw her dad downstairs and he told me she was up here. Upset and still in her pyjamas, but I don't care.

It hurts me and makes me ache just thinking of Hadley being so upset, the care reason being sparked by me. I have signals shooting up each nerve of my body, I feel guilty even expecting to see her.

She opens the door slowly revealing herself. She's in a white tank top, black jogging pants and the biggest knit cardigan I've ever seen. She's got slight darkness under her eyes, her once blue eyes now dulled with a tarnished future. Her hairs thrown into a ponytail, some strands escaping the hold of the hair tie that's supposed to be fastening  it. My stomach revolts at her sight, she's unhappy, it's obvious. She hurt, confused and to be frank, lost. She's always Been a school person from what she's told me. She said school is really the only thing she's got control over in her life, with the right amount of effort and attention she can make her grades fluctuate according to her order. She had said that's why she liked school so much. She was in control. Yet somehow I manage to go and take that control away from her, it's broke her more then I expected it to. I'm discussed with thee state I've made her be.

"Hey Dustin," a sad smile,
Forced. "Shouldn't you be at school or..."

I shake my head before she can finish. "Did they call you or anything?" I ask her, I assumed since the school board was giving her a shot to prove her knowledge they would at least call to inform her of the opportunity.

She nods her head," I didn't answer, I assume it's a threat to get my stuff out of my locker or they'll toss it all after they cut the lock." She shrugs, crossing her arms across her body resting each elbow in opposing hands.

"No Hadley," I start, I take her by the hand and sit her down on her couch. "They are giving you a chance to re do the test, show you can do it. That you didn't cheat." I tell her. Almost like I'm trying to redeem myself for the hurt I've caused her.