07

Kendall could tell that Lacey was hiding something. She wanted to know what it was and who had caused her to lash out. Kendall knew that she was going to kill whoever hurt her sister.

When morning came, Kendall woke and went to check on Lacey. She walked into her bedroom and frowned. Lacey wasn't there. Kendall swore as she ran downstairs.

Simon followed. "Where's the fire?" He asked.

"Lacey isn't here. Simon, she isn't here. What the hell do I do?"

Simon roller his eyes. He looked at Kendall. "Remember, She is not your responsibility. You are not her mother. She's probably with Christine," he said.

***
Lacey had been sitting in the park all all night. She hated herself. She hated how she had gotten pregnant by her sisters boyfriend. She knew Kendall would hate her too and she couldn't handle that.

Lacey was freezing cold. She was still in her school uniform. The tears poured down her cheeks. She wanted her sister but she couldn't bare to have Kendall know about what she had done with Simon.

***
Kendall was beside herself with worry. She knew it was the weekend so Lacey wouldn't even consider heading into school. Simon sat at the table marking coursework.

Kendall grabbed her phone and dialled Lacey's number again;

Hi. This is Lacey. I'm not available right now. Please leave me a message after the tone and I'll get back to you at some point.

Kendall sighed. "Lacey, come on babes. Come back. Whatever has happened, we can talk about this. I promise."

Simon looked up. "Did she answer?"

"Clearly not Sherlock. It went to voicemail!" Kendall yelled. She knew she was wrong to take it out on Simon but she wanted her sister back.

***
Christine opened the door and saw Kendall. She frowned. "What's happened?"

"Lacey didn't come back last night. Is she here?"

Christine shook her head. "No. She hasn't come here. I'd have called you."

Kendall scoffed. "Yeah right. You were probably too busy being pissed up to notice," she spat.

Christine sighed. "I haven't been drunk in a while. I'm sobering up. For you and for Lacey."

***
Lacey could feel herself getting cold. She turned on her phone to the texts, missed calls and voicemails off Kendall. Lacey felt bad for what she was putting her sister through. But she knew she couldn't go back.

Lacey got up and left the park. She didn't know where she was going. But she wasn't coming back.

***
Christine walked into Lacey's bedroom. It had been the same since she left. Kendall joined her. The two of them were looking at old photos of Lacey.

Kendall found a book. "It's her diary. I think she had this when she was eight."

Christine frowned. "I don't remember."

"You wouldn't."

Christine sighed and took the diary. She opened it and turned to a page in the middle;

Hi book.
Today Connor's daddy hurt me. He said it was a game. It didn't feel like a game. He said it was a game that big girls play. I can't tell mummy or Kendall cause they won't want to be my friend anymore.
I'm scared

Lacey Mulgrew
Aged 8.

Kendall looked at Christine. "Connor's dad. He hurt Lacey? How did he hurt her?" She asked.

"I don't know. I really don't."

Kendall scoffed. "Of Course you don't know. You were never around for her! He raped her when she was eight years old! EIGHT! No wonder she's so messed up!"

Christine felt bad. She knew she had been the worse mother there was. But would Lacey ever come back?