Guardian Angel

-No..No..No, please don't say that. Please! - I was hoping it was some kind of a joke.

-We're all truly sorry, Mrs.Brooks, we did our best-

-No! You have a dead man in there, laying, not breathing at all, so you didn't do your best, he's dead!Go in there and save him!-I was screaming at the doctor pulling him by his shirt . -Save.My.Boyfriend.

I was dead serious and angry, then tears began to slide down my cheeks. I couldn't believe that was happening to me. I did tell him to leave me for good, but not like that. I didn't want to lose him, too. I felt like I was cursed or something, because every person I ever loved died. I was tired of it, I was tired of crying and begging people to stay. I just needed somebody who would stay without me begging him to. I had enough. Actually, I was angry at myself too.

I just slipped beside the doctor and ran into the operating room. They followed me but I didn't give them the chance to pull me out until I said what I had to say. Looking at him lying on the operating table so pale but his hands were still warm as always. I approached him, took his hand and started crying. The doctor called the security to get me out of there so I had a little time.

-I love you. I love you so much, Mario.You promised you'd never leave me, you promised me. Don't you DARE leave me! I have nobody but you. Please, come back. You promised we'd be together! You said we'd grow old together, have kids and live like in a dream! You lied, Mario. You left me alone! - the security grabbed me by the waist and started pulling me back like a lunatic while I was still screaming at a dead body when suddenly, the machines started beeping. We were all staring in wonder. It was a miracle. His heart began to beat again.

-Oh my God. Nurse! Get the nurses!-the doctor yelled.

They got me out of the O.R. and I sat on the floor of the waiting room. I was praying to God that He saves him.

-Please, God, please .I love him.I never meant anything I said, I still want him so bad. I need him.

Marina just hugged me and didn't say anything. She didn't even know what to say.

After half an hour, the doctors came out shocked and happy.

-This is a miracle.

-Doctor,what's happening? Is he...

-He's alive.

I couldn't believe.

-You saved his life, Jen. You saved him.-Marina whispered to me.

-When can I see him?

-He needs to rest for a while, but you can see him in the morning.

-Thank you so much.-then I turned towards Marina.-Look, you're exhausted and tired, you should go back home and rest, I'll stay here.

-No way, I won't leave you.

-You're tired and hungry. Trust me, I'll be fine, if anything happens, I promise I'll call you.

-Okay. Take care.

-You too.

I slept in his hospital room, on the chair, holding his hand. His tight grip woke me up, he was giving me a sign he was awake.

-Mario? Mario,are you okay? Are you in pain?

-Calm down. I'm fine.-he spoke quietly and slowly, he was probably in pain.

-Mario, I'm sorry, I'm so so so sorry, I take all of the blame, I'm the worst girlfriend ever and-

-Just shut up and kiss me,okay?-we both smiled.

-Okay.-I did as he said.

-It's not your fault,you can't blame yourself for everything that happens,okay? Now...About our fight..You have to know that I wasn't sleeping with AK. The baby was ill and she needed help. And, since I promised her I'd help, I helped her find a doctor for the baby.I was asleep when she answered the phone and told you everything you misunderstood.

-Oh my God,I was so stupid,I'm sorry.

-You believe me now?

-I do.

***

Two weeks later...

I took good care of Mario when he got out of the hospital.He still had his arm broken and his leg hurt but he felt better. Everybody from his family and friends called me to thank me and called me his Guardian Angel, but I didn't believe it. No, he was my angel.

One day we decided to sit on a bench and watch the most beautiful sunset in Seattle.He took my hand and looked me in the eyes.

-Thank you for saving my life,Jen. Thank you for not giving up on me,ever. Thank you for being there for me when I had nobody.I love you,my guardian angel.

-I'm not a guardian angel,Mario.I'm just a girl who wants you to stay alive.

-When I was dying, I heard your voice from the waiting room. You were sobbing and crying and begging. I wanted to stay strong for you but I lost control. Then suddenly, I saw it, the light, but I knew that I couldn't leave you alone, I couldn't. Then, after a while, I started breathing again. My heart beat again. I knew this was my last chance so I decided to spend the rest of my life with you.

-Liar. That's impossible.

-Well, you never know.

-You're such a dork,Gotze. 

-True,but I'm your dork.

-True. Plus, you suck at lying.

-Hey, at least I tried. Besides, I didn't lie when I said I loved you. 

I was staring at how the sun shines on the river and the golden glow and I wanted something miraculous to happen, and it did,in the end.I didn't even notice when Mario moved and knelt next to me.I snapped out of my thoughts when he called my name.

-Jen?

-Yes?-as soon as I said that,I put my hands on my mouth,so shocked I was barely breathing.

-Will you marry me?-he was holding a little black box with a diamond ring in it.

-Yes. Yes,oh my God,yes!!-I was yelling.

He smiled,we kissed and he put the ring on my finger.I was so happy at that moment.I was crying from happiness.

-Angel,don't cry...I love you.-he whispered.

-I love you,too,Mario. I've always had and I always will.