9. Message Me, Smurf Boy

Liv

They say that when you're dying, your life flashes before your eyes. As I was falling I was hit with a montage, much of which contained deep fryers and pillows being held over my face to drown out noise.

But there was no noise in my flashbacks.

I couldn't see, which was odd because I was seeing my past.

The only thing I could feel was the sensation of falling, falling.

And then a thud.

"Shit! Woah, are you alright?" a voice asked.

I lay dazed on my back, eyes still closed, and arms spread wide like some sort of sacrificial Vitruvian Man. There was a dull ache somewhere in my lower back and I moved my arm to rub at it.

I moaned and moved my arms over my head. There was shuffling and a huff.

"Olivia, I literally saw you fall. You didn't even hit your head. Stop being dramatic." Kate complained.

I sighed once, then sat up.

"Okay, you got me," I smirked.

Kate was standing beside me, and Cameron was crouched at my feet, concerned expression plastered on his face.

I looked to Kate who was rolling her eyes, then back to Cameron who was still looking worried.

"Don't even worry about her, dude," Kate said. "She pulls this sort of shit all the time."

She looked to me and I shrugged. "What can I say?" I began. "I'm a sucker for attention."

Kate and I laughed together. Cameron's face had morphed into one of confusion. He shook his head as if clearing it, then stood to his full height. He reached out a hand to help me up, which I took. His hands were warm and calloused, which I was not expecting for your typical upper-class teenage boy. My hand fit in his like they had been made for each other, and for a brief and insane moment I wondered what his hands would feel like on my waist.

With a quick pull, I was back on my feet. I let go of Cameron's hand reluctantly, only to find I was far too close to him for comfort.

I really couldn't believe I hadn't realised it was him before. I was the first to admit my ability to remember faces was not great, but hadn't I been lowkey fan-girling over him a few days ago?

Cameron's blonde hair was mussed and had taken on a brown look in the dark lighting.

His bright blue eyes still bore into mine as if staring down my soul.

It was unsettling to say the least.

There was a cough behind me and I stepped back from him. My gaze averted to Kate and she motioned for us to head back to the living room.

And that was how we waddled through the doorway looking like ducklings following their mother. The moment we stepped in, conversation stopped as the guys greeted Cameron, and I was left standing awkwardly on one side.

Cameron and Kate walked over to Jake, Kate settling under Jake's arm and Cameron giving Jake a clap on the shoulder.

Mark reached out to me, placing his arm over my shoulder and pulling me towards him. The rest of the group chattered on, the guys from before continuing with their conversations.

Kate, Jake and Cameron were all immersed in what looked like an interesting discussion, Kate hunched over her stomach in laughter, and Jake had a big grin on his face as Cameron spoke animatedly, arms waving.