7. Excuse Me, That Is My Arm

Liv

After school, Kate had dragged me into her car and was now driving us to her house.

"... he's just so nice! The other day he took me on a picnic date and it was really cold, right? You know what he does? He took off his hoodie and gave it to me, even though he was only in a t-shirt and I had a long sleeve shirt on. And," Kate continued, slowing at a stop sign. "He smells amazing. And that tongue of his can do stuff you would not believe-".

"Kate, I love you, but I think I'm going to have to stop you right there. I really don't want to know."

Kate rolled her eyes at me, putting the car in drive when the light turned green. "Calm down, Liv. I didn't mean it like that-"

I gave her a look. "That's exactly what you meant, and you know it."

"You know what?" Kate said, smirking. "I did say exactly what I meant." She laughed, taking the final turn into her driveway.

"You're unbelievable." I muttered as Kate stopped the car and I opened my door, climbing out.

"You love it." Kate winked. She pulled the key out of a hole in a pile of rocks in the front garden.

Kate unlocked the door and we stepped inside.

Kicking my shoes off, I looked around. I liked Kate's house. It had a nice feel to it, the sort of feel that only an occupied place has. Kate's house felt more like a home than my spotless, impersonal house did. The only things we had in my house to prove that people did, in fact, live there were Caleb's many certificates of achievement.

The kitchen in Kate's house was mostly wooden features. The floor was wood, the counters were wood, even the kitchen basin was made of wood. There was a real earthy vibe going around the kitchen, and the rest of the house as well. 

Kate was the middle child of three. Her older sister, McKenna, was off studying chemistry at university. I had been going around to Kate's house forever, to the point where McKenna was like a big sister to me as well.

Milly, Kate's younger sister, was six and three quarters years old, thank you very much. Milly had just hit her tantrum stage, where she would throw fits if Kate didn't play tea parties with her and her dolls.

For some reason, Milly adored me. So, when we walked into the kitchen to get an after-school snack, Milly came sprinting towards me.

"Livvy!" Milly yelled. "You're here! Can you come play with me pleeeeeease?" She asked, eyes wide and innocent.

I gave her a quick hug. "Sorry, Mils, but Kate and I have stuff we need to do. Maybe next time."

"Is it the same stuff Kate and the guy who wears the weird shirts do when he comes over? I always want to play with them, but Kate says they need to do important adult stuff."

Important adult stuff? Oh god. I mentally cringed, not knowing whether to laugh, cry or hit myself in the head to get rid of disturbing mental images that had appeared. I looked over at Kate, who had turned an interesting beet red.

"Go away, Milly, or I'll tell mum that you broke her favourite vase."

Milly gasped in horror. "You wouldn't do that, Katie?" Milly's sentence rises up at the end, more a question than a statement.

"Try me, Mouse." Kate replies, and Milly shot her a furious look before turning and stomping her way to her bedroom, screaming the whole way.

I leaned against the wall watching Milly go, while Kate opened the fridge to look for food.