8.The Late Night Adventures of Olivia and Cherry Boy

Liv
When I said there were people everywhere, I meant everywhere.

"This is so cool!" Kate exclaimed.

Cool? I wasn't so sure.

The three of us walked up the hall single file, trying to squeeze past teenagers on our quest to find someone we knew.

Kate was at the front, eyes squinting in the dark light trying to make out faces. For a brief moment I wondered how many people she knew here. Whatever amount it was, it was probably more than me.

I knew none.

Mark followed Kate closely, sucking in his already-flat stomach in an effort to get through the hall. I could hear him grumbling in front of me.

I brought up the rear, my small stature making it easier to navigate through the crowds. I ducked in-between people, making sure I could always see Mark's t-shirt.

The sounds of the party were deafening, and a few times I had to resist the urge to cover my ears with my hands. The smell of sweaty bodies was incredibly strong – it filled my nose and made me light headed.

Kate lead us to the living room where a bunch of guys were standing around with red plastic solo cups in hand. The group was all male, all hot, and all looking a little bit intimidating.

Just a little.

Kate took one look at the crowd. "Jake!" She cried.

A part-Maori boy who – surprise – I had never seen before grinned at her and pulled her into his arms.

Mark and I shifted on our feet awkwardly. I felt guilty. Kate had been with this boy – Jake she had called him – for a while now. I couldn't remember how long. And I had had no idea what he looked like.

I was starting to think that maybe I was just a little bit caught up in myself. I was becoming a bad friend.

Mentally, I filed that thought under my 'things I need to address later' tab and smiled at Kate.

She had finally let go of the boy and was smiling up at him wildly. It was clear he really made her happy.

The guilt started to seep in again.

"Oh! Where are my manners?" Kate exclaimed. "Mark, Liv, this is Jacob." She gestured to the boy.

"Don't listen to her. Jake is fine." He said, ruffling Kate's hair. "It's nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you too," I said, smiling. Next to me, Mark was trying to stare down Jake.

Mark liked to think he was big and intimidating, but really he kind of had the whole 'soft teddy bear' vibe going for him. Which would probably explain why Jake didn't look fazed at all.

Jake held his hand out for Mark to shake, but Mark was still glaring at him. I elbowed Mark in the ribs.

"Ow! You've got to stop that!" Mark huffed, and grudgingly shook Jake's hand.

"You guys enjoying the party?" Jake asked.

"We only just got here, babe." Kate replied.

Babe? Ew.

I couldn't stand some of the nicknames couples had for each other. I didn't know whether it was because they were so overused or if I just had an aversion to all things love-y.

Either way, I had to resist gagging.

It's not like I wasn't happy for Kate or whatever. I was. It was just that over the last little while romance had almost started to seem like a disease.