6. What Kind of Man-Child..?

Cam

oliviabcker

woah, dude, do I know you? are you stalking me?

I sat and stared at the screen for a while, deciding what to write back. It was past three in the morning, though, so the chances of her replying were pretty small.

camerondavies10

Nope. I can also confirm that I am not a stalker lol. And I guess if I introduce myself then you would know me, haha. I'm cam, btw

I didn't wait for a reply. I had to be up at six am tomorrow – uh, today – so I could go for my daily run. At this point, it was looking like I was going to get less than three hours of sleep.

I sighed, placing my phone face down on my bedside table and rolling over.

My alarm went off at exactly 5.55am just like usual. I had set it earlier than I needed just in case it ever took me longer to get out of bed.

It never did.

Pulling my covers off my warm body, I slid my feet onto the floor. I reached for the sports clothes that were within grabbing distance. I always kept them on the floor, so I don't need to look through my drawers every morning. Sliding my shoes out from under my bed, I put on some mismatched socks and stood up.

Leaving the house, I quietly closed the back door, so I didn't wake my mother. When I had first started going for early runs, Mum had complained at every opportunity she could, constantly telling me that I was too loud and if I didn't quieten down she wouldn't let me go anymore. After a while, I had perfected my routine and I almost never made any noise.

I loved running for a few reasons. Number one being that it was a good way to keep my fitness up, and it helped tone my muscles, so they were more efficient on the field.

Secondly, it was a great way to clear my head. Whenever I ran, all I could think about were the rhythmic sounds of my feet slapping the pavement. It was hypnotic, and it really helped me to push any thoughts – negative or positive – to the back of my mind.

Arriving back at the house, I grabbed my towel and headed to the bathroom. Once the sweat was all washed off my body, I climbed out of the shower and dried myself off, putting on the white button-down shirt, green tie, blazer and black pants which were all part of my school uniform.

I rubbed the towel haphazardly through my hair in an attempt to dry it, grabbing my phone and walking down the stairs and into the kitchen.

Mum was already in the kitchen, coffee cup in hand. Her glasses were perched on the bridge of her nose and her face was crinkled in concentration, a file opened and sitting in front of her. She murmured a greeting, but it was clear her attention was elsewhere, so I didn't bother replying.

I popped some bread in the toaster. My phone had lit up, and I opened it so I could check the new messages I had received.

oliviabcker

idk dude. first you add me on insta and now snap? Definitely seems like a case of stalking to me ;)

This girl... I had no idea who she was but there was little doubt that I was curious.

camerondavies10

In my defence you followed me first haha. And I mean, I add everyone on snapchat anyways

oliviabcker

and here was me starting to feel special... lol

camerondavies10