#9 Football

The Sun is shining, but it still feels cold. Emily and Katherine are walking around the school, just wasting their time when they hear a shouting from the field.

   "Oh, it's just the team practising football," Emily says whilst staring at the male students who are running around in the field.

   "Hey, I saw Anthony! Let's go to him," Katherine drags Emily towards the field. Both of them stand a few metres from the field and all the players are having a break. Anthony spots them from afar and runs towards them.

   "Hey, girls!" Anthony waves at Emily and Katherine and drinks his water. Sweats are dripping from his forehead and he wipes them off with a towel and hangs it on his shoulder.

   As the three of them were talking happily, Emily hears someone yelling her name, so she turns to her right and sees a ball flying towards her. She is so startled until she can't do anything to get away from the ball. Then, a student comes to her rescue and snatches the ball away. She feels so grateful for the help.

   "Emily, are you all right?" Anthony asks while turning Emily to face him. Emily blinks her eyes and nods slowly. She turns back and her hero is still there. 'Hey, I know him. This is Thomas!'  she smiles to herself.

   "Hey, be careful with the ball!" Thomas throws the ball to his teammates who apologise to both Emily and Thomas. Thomas turns to Emily whilst wagging his hand. Emily knows that Thomas is in pain.

   "Oh my God! Your hand, Thomas...is it okay? It looks red," Emily grabs Thomas' hand and examines it. The ball is quite hard and solid and Thomas just caught it with his bare hand without using goalkeeper gloves. Emily is pretty sure that he will get a swollen hand.

   "I'm okay, really. Are you okay?" Thomas pulls away his hand and tries to search for Emily's face.

   Emily tries to forget it, but the flying ball reminds her of when her mother threw a plastic bowl at her. She got a headache and a bruise on her head after that. She's lucky that her mother didn't throw a glass bowl or her head would have to be operated.

   "Em? Hello?" Thomas clicks his fingers in front of Emily and she quickly returns to reality.

   "Huh? What?" Emily shakes her head.

   "You okay?" Thomas looks at Emily worryingly.

   "Yeah, okay. By the way, are you practising until evening?" Emily folds her arms.

   "Yup. You go home first. Don't wait for me."

   "No-no, Thomas. I will be at school until 4 p.m. because  I have to help Mrs. Judy with something," Emily says.

   "What will you be doing?" Thomas raises his eyebrow.

   "Something," Emily turns to her left to see Katherine and Anthony are already gone. "Hey, where are they? They left me!" she looks around frantically.

   "Relax, Em. They went to the canteen. They tried to tell you, but you were too busy with your own fantasy world," Thomas explains and Emily hits his hand.

   "Ouch, it hurts!" Thomas rubs his hand gently and Emily just laughs at him. Suddenly, James appears from their left.

   "Hello, the Robertson twins!" says James.

   "Oh, hey!" Emily waves at James in a friendly way.

   "Are you all right, Emily? I'm sorry about my friends. They didn't see you here when they kicked the ball," James explains while running his fingers through his dirty blond hair.