- chapter twelve: the gate [ part three ]

CHAPTER TWELVE.
home.

wow, the last chapter

wow, the last chapter. jeez.

now obviously i don't expect most of this chapter to be in the actual show if it was, but whatever

it was a ridiculously warm night for mid december.

the wind was harsh, though, biting at their cheeks and making their eyes water. eleven had fought hopper tooth and nail into not wearing a jacket while nineteen had stood by the door patiently, waiting for the two to be done.

in the end, eleven had grabbed the jacket angrily, and sat in the backseat, next to an equally bundled up nineteen. she didn't speak at all until they arrived to the school, at which she leaned forward, threw the jacket in the front seat, and hugged hopper from behind.

nineteen had placed hers down on top of eleven's and hesitated for a second, before wrapping her own bare arms around hopper's broad shoulders.

"thank you." she whispered, disappearing out of the car. this had happened 45 seconds ago.

eleven and nineteen were now walking in the actual dance, or the 'gym' as hopper had called it, side by side, and their eyes bounce everywhere. it's lively in the large room, multiple people spread throughout it. the long haired girl starts walking forwards, leaving eleven staring at the boy who had saved her one year ago.

nineteen is overwhelmed. the decorations are big, and music is faintly playing in the background. she bites her lip as she stares upwards at everything. the bright, yellow lights reflect in her baby blue eyes.

"uh.. hello?"

nineteen looks up. will byers is standing in front of her, wringing his hands. the two kids are about the same height, nineteen barely looking down at him. he's trying to smile, but he's extremely nervous.

"hello, will." she replies. he smiles easily. she looks back up, smiling at the decorations. he blows through his mouth in frustration and then glances around the room as the song playing starts to end.

"um, how are- uh -do you want to dance?" he blurts quickly, staring at her shoes instead of her face. she looks over at him and then she scans the crowd of kids.

"i've never dance before," she starts. will chuckles lightly at her incorrect grammar, but grabs her wrist gently. "i can help you. i honestly can't dance that well either."

he takes her hand and starts walking out to the middle of the dance floor. he gently places his hands on her waist. "and you put your hands on my shoulders." he says. she puts them there and rubs the cotton fabric beneath her fingertips. he smiles at her actions. "there you go." its silent as he starts swaying them back and forth.