- chapter three: the pollywog

CHAPTER THREE.
safety and steve harrington.

nineteen stares at the man with black sunglasses sat atop his head and tries not to move.

"Помогите." she mumbles.

the man stares for a second. "w-what? do you speak english?"

she doesn't reply, realizing that she doesn't have to speak russian with him. she barely knew where she was, and papa always made sure that she knew she had to speak russian when they would send her in for tests.

he clears his throat. "um, kid... what are you doing out here this late? and..." the man, boy more like it, finally seems to get a good look at her clothes.

what the hell?

"woah, wait." he glances at the woods that was right behind her. "did you come from the-the lab? why are you covered in dirt and... bl... oh, jesus." nineteen takes a step back and stands in ready-to-run position.

"okay, look," he starts nervously. "how about you come... get in my car. and i'll take you home." he says, walking around the car slowly. nineteen's eyes widen and she shivers in response.

jesus christ.

"hey, i know you know you probably shouldn't trust strangers, but look, i won't hurt you, just come get in my car and i'll take you back-" he cuts himself off. "look, i know how this sounds. but... do you want me to take you back home?"

"no." she says immediately. "please. don't take me... h-home."

the girl mentally reaches forward into the back of his  mind and lets out a sigh of relief. he wouldn't hurt her. he was hurt himself.

"well why not? okay, wait. what if i take you back to my home? i won't hurt you, i promise. and we can call the cops? it's safe and warm at my house. and we can get you something to eat and drink - you're probably hungry. you look like you've been wondering for hours." he says, taking two steps forward with his hands out.

nineteen listens to him speak, registering the word 'safe'. when he stops talking and just stares at her, she realizes he's waiting for answer. not knowing any better, and just listening to his thoughts, nineteen nods her head. 

what's going on?

"good. good. okay, i'm gonna walk over to you and bring you to my car, okay?" he said. she nods and unwrapps her arms, holding them up almost as if she was asking for a hug. "here," he says , gently touching her arm. she doesn't flinch but she does tense up. he hesitates before touching her again.

"okay, here you go." he opens the passenger door and gestures for her to step in and sit. she does so and stares at him as he jogs around the car and gets in. he looks over at her once more before he starts up the car. she gasps and grabs ahold of the dashboard.