- chapter one: madmax

CHAPTER ONE.
dark rooms.

(past events wouldn't be shown in the actual show, i'm just giving background knowledge and references)

nineteen's bare feet lightly met the cold tiles. she was running her fingertips across the neatly styled glass of the lab rooms, with which she had been in multiple times.

her clothes were cotton pajamas that had white stripes against the light blue fabric. her knuckles were bloody.

the end of nineteen's hair was wavier than the top. it was washed frequently but she always ended up covered in dust, goop, dirt, and sometimes blood. but, hey, to nineteen, it was a major step up from the hospital gown or the green army suit they used to keep her in all of the time.

dr. owens might have something to do with it. he was much more gentle than papa but could still be cruel if he wanted, specifically, whenever nineteen acted out. aka, harmed a guard if they gripped her arms too hard. which was fair play, that was undeniable, but at least he was nice enough to give nineteen her own caregiver.

said babysitter, mary, felt for nineteen. mary was there when dr. brenner was there. she had been one of the nurses, who assisted the doctors silently. nineteen had seen her multiple times yet never spoke to her.

the good thing about mary was that she learned to never ask questions but always made sure nineteen was comfortable. she calmed her down before she was sent off for testing, and she washed her hair, and fed her. she rubbed nineteen's back once in a while, was a teacher, and a friend. she always held her hand when nineteen wanted it. papa was never this nice. he only pretended. mary did not.

owens was equally as nice as mary, he was just doing his job. he always attempted to crack jokes before realizing that nineteen had no idea what he was even talking about. walking through the halls of hawkins lab, nineteen took slow deep breaths. she pretty much had free range now, just not when there were 'visitors'.

nineteen can still remember the day she tried to escape. it was close to a year ago, and she had never tried to escape again.

"stop it! no! no!"

nineteen gasped, holding the wrists of the hands that are wrapped around her neck. she chokes out small words, trying to talk.

"stop! help.." she says, trying to find the will to get out of it. she kicks her feet repeatedly, but the big man is holding her too tightly.

just when she's about to lose consciousness, there's a yell and the man drops her. she feels like she falls forever as she leaves the dark place.

nineteen's eyes opened quickly and she slid off of the table and ran to the door. she collided against it, banging her fists on it. she started crying. "let me out! please! papa!" she screamed.