- chapter nine: the mind flayer [ part two ]

CHAPTER NINE.
what happened at the byers house?

once they had made it to the byers house, everyone finally let out a relaxed breath. the conversation in the car had consisted of the police officer, nineteen finally knew him as hopper - the man who had been protecting the first thing nineteen had ever found comfort in - telling the rest of them what all happened at the lab.

it was now quiet, everyone spread out around the room. hopper was leaning against the wall, talking into the phone.

"sam owens. dr. sam owens." he announces carefully. owens is alive! nineteen lets out a breath, and then shivers. it's pretty cold in the house, so she keeps her hands in her pockets.

hopper listens to the woman through the phone. "i don't know how many people are there!" hopper yells. "i don't know how many people are left alive!

"i am the police!" he then says. "chief jim hopper!" he then scoffs. "yes, the number that i gave you, yes." he starts backing up.

"6767. i will be here." he says, before slamming the phone back on the receiver.

"they didn't believe you, did they?" dustin asks him. nineteen stares up at hopper from her seat between dustin and lucas. he turns around. "we'll see."

"'we'll see'? we can't just sit here while those things are loose!" mike yells angrily.

"we stay here, and we wait for help." hopper tells him calmly.

"uh, we kinda already have help." dustin says, pointing at nineteen. nineteen gets chill-bumps from hopper's sudden stare.

"and who is this?" he asks, mike turning around, too.

"this is nineteen." dustin informs the man. hopper stops and puts his hands on his hips. he looks directly down at the girl, and nineteen can see a hint of a smile in his eyes.

so you're nineteen, huh? eleven said you can hear everybody's thoughts. do you know where she is?

nineteen nods at him, not breaking eye contact. "yes." she says. the kids around her look in confusion.

is she safe?

"yes." the girl repeats. hopper puts his hand on his mouth. "okay," he sighs, walking away.

she leans back in her seat, staring at her hands. it was quiet between all of them until she felt a prickle going down her back. like someone was watching her. she glances up.

mike wheeler's frustrated gaze makes her want to shrink into her seat. he wants to know everything.

i wonder if she knew el